• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlsbro TC200 recap

Hi

I want to recap my Carlsbro Tc200 that have 5 (100Uf + 40Uf) 500V caps

Carlsbro 200 T.C. Amp Schematic

all 100UF +60uf are in paralell, that gives 5x 160uF caps.

the question is:

Better 5x (50uF + 50uF) caps, or 5x (100uF +100uf) caps?

As I see on a Hiwatt, (50uf + 50uf) could do the job.
    http://www.chambonino.com/work/hiwatt/hw4u.jpg

If you look closer, those combined caps are themselves paralleled in three places. The upper supply has two of them, so 320uf, and the lower supply also has 320uf, then another 160uf after the choke.

So you essentially need two 320uf caps and a 160uf cap. Since these are power supply, they are not real critical. I don't know that using dual caps is necessarily an advantage for you. it probably was for Carlsbro for reasons other than the circuit.

So you could use three 100uf caps paralleled in place of the 320uf pairs. Or two 150uf in parallel in each sspot. 160uf is an odd value, so 200uf or 150uf is probably easier to find and close enough.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      If you look closer, those combined caps are themselves paralleled in three places. The upper supply has two of them, so 320uf, and the lower supply also has 320uf, then another 160uf after the choke.

So you essentially need two 320uf caps and a 160uf cap. Since these are power supply, they are not real critical. I don't know that using dual caps is necessarily an advantage for you. it probably was for Carlsbro for reasons other than the circuit.

So you could use three 100uf caps paralleled in place of the 320uf pairs. Or two 150uf in parallel in each sspot. 160uf is an odd value, so 200uf or 150uf is probably easier to find and close enough.
      HI thanks for the answer.

I want to just swap the old ones and put new ones. Same number of caps and size, for esthetic reasons.

JJ or F&T

JJ single 100UF are Ø 25 mm x 40 mm and 50 + 50 is about the same price, so JJ 100uf is not an option.

As I see: (100uF + 100uF) + (50uF + 50uF) = 300uf pretty close to 320uF
      And for the 160uF I still have this doubt, increase to 200uF (100uf + 100uF) or decrease to 100uF (50uf + 50uf).

Comment

None of the attachment links works for me.

You're over thinking the aesthetics of the matter, but that's fine. Even if you put the same number and size caps back in, it's not going to look the same. However, to answer your question, go up to 200, not down to 150, not that it really matters. Caps in the old days were notoriously not close to their marked values. A 100uF cap could easily measure 80 to 150uF brand new.

If you insist on being totally accurate, buy a bunch of caps and measure for absolute value. You can probably come up with 160uF using mix and match, but your amp will not care.

Comment

Originally posted by patlaw View Post
          None of the attachment links works for me.

You're over thinking the aesthetics of the matter, but that's fine. Even if you put the same number and size caps back in, it's not going to look the same. However, to answer your question, go up to 200, not down to 150, not that it really matters. Caps in the old days were notoriously not close to their marked values. A 100uF cap could easily measure 80 to 150uF brand new.

If you insist on being totally accurate, buy a bunch of caps and measure for absolute value. You can probably come up with 160uF using mix and match, but your amp will not care.
          So. I will try this (100uf + 100uf) + (50uF + 50Uf) Pair and for the single one (100uF + 100uF)

the links
          F+T 100 + 100 µF / 500 V Multisection - Tube-Town GmbH
          F+T 50 + 50 µF / 500 V Multisection - Tube-Town GmbH

JJ 100+100 µF @ 500 V - Tube-Town GmbH
          JJ 50+50 µF @ 500 V - Tube-Town GmbH

I am reading stuff about this now, if I get another conclusion I post here. I am also searching about this pair of bleeding resistors (220K) that are on Hiwat scheme and not on Carlsbro.

Thanks for the Help

Comment

Working...
          X