Help a novice finish a vox 15r pot repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a novice finish a vox 15r pot repair

I purchased a vox pathfinder 15r on the cheap because it's broken. While I've never repaired an amp before, i figured this would be a nice validation as a man to fix it, but I don't know anything about electronics. I started this question on a jazz guitar forum but realized the people here would probably be more help. The schematics came from this website and found that the reverb ground is VR37 (I think. I know nothing about this stuff).

As for the actual problem, the reverb knob just spins around, and it noticeably sticks out further from the rest of the amp than the other knobs. In the pictures the reverb pot is not visually difference from the rest (it's the nearest one), but it still sticks out. Do any of you know how I could begin to fix this?

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a..._schematic.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	702.9 KB
ID:	869608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	869609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	869610

It looks like you already have the board removed from the chassis, so all you have to do is de-solder the old one and solder in a replacement (de-solder with a solder sucker or solder-wick). You will need a B10K pot that is physically the same.
    Aside from the reverb control everything else was working?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.JPG
Size:	711.7 KB
ID:	837982

The volume is a little spotty the first 20 seconds or so i turn on the amp, and the tremelo depth pot works from 7 to 2 o clock, but after that the knob keeps spinning around not affecting sound. I'm not entirely concerned about the volume because that seems to go away, and I literally never use tremelo. I just don't know how to solder or de solder anything. I found the exact same pot i need online though.

I just wonder if I really need to replace the pot, it's just slightly difference from the rest
      Last edited by prsguitar; 06-19-2015, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Any pots that can spin all the way around with no stops need to be replaced. The others probably need cleaning with deoxit or similar.
        The ones that spin around may have got broken during knob removal, sometime the knobs are real tight and break the pots when pulled off.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Welcome to the place.
          Originally posted by g1 View Post
          The ones that spin around may have got broken during knob removal, sometime the knobs are real tight and break the pots when pulled off.
          The one photo shows the pot shaft has been pulled out from the wiper assembly.

Those pots are 16mm pc mount pots with a knurled shaft. To remove them, you will need a small soldering iron and some sort of solder removal product. A small vacuum pump or solder braid are fairly inexpensive. I don't know where you are located, but if you have an electronics store near you, you can probably find most of what you need there. Well maybe not the exact type of pots you need.

There are online videos showing you how to desolder things that may be of help to you. Try your best to not overheat the copper traces when you desolder the pots, as the board can be damaged, causing additional problems.

If you are going to fix this, you should just go ahead and replace all of the bad pots now. Even though you may not need the trem to work now, there's no telling what you may need in the future. The cost of the pots is cheap compared to the time that you will spend on fixing the amp. I think that some mail order places will have those pots for a dollar or less.

Comment

Hi
            I meet exactly the similar symptoms on the reverb pot
            Any feedback about you repair ?
            Tanks

Comment

Working...
            X