Need advice replacing some caps in old tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice replacing some caps in old tube amp

Hello. Long time.. I had shut down my shop for a while since embarking on a major house renovation project...starting up slowly with a few repairs. Working on a 62 Ampeg jet with leaky coupling and tremolo caps... .02 and .05's at 400V. What is the economy way to go? I see axial metal film caps going for a dollar or so...then the boutique priced stuff. Just want to get it working properly. Thanks.

I think any .02 & .047 600V caps will do... I like the Mallory 150s because they fit in a tiny space better, and would look a bit truer to period-correct for a 62 Jet. Don't waste $$$ on boutique caps, IMHO. Unless the owner insists, of course. I doubt anyone else here would say otherwise, but maybe!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

A quick look at Mouser finds:

ECQ-E4223KF Panasonic | Mouser

Those are 35 cents. You can look up the other value.

As Justin implies, you will have better luck looking for 0.047uf instead of 0.05uf. Same really with 0.022 versus 0.02.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys. Just ordered some Mallory 150s from AES.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          I think any .02 & .047 600V caps will do
          Yes, I'd look to increase the voltage rating to 600/630Vdc, as the 400V type used in vintage amps could be marginal in some cases.
          They must have been made over spec, as they rarely seem to fail.
          However, it would be a poor practice to assume the same of modern caps, good practice is for their voltage rating to be well above any voltage they are likely to be exposed to (eg with dead tubes and a high line), thereby increasing their potential service life.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
          X