Top Boost preamp anomaly Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Boost preamp anomaly Q

I wasn't sure if this should be here or in "Theory..." But here goes.

I have one of my custom builds on the bench and it's a Vox/Fender switcher. The Vox configuration uses a straight up classic Top Boost preamp right down to the voltage readings. But I'm seeing something I'm not certain about...

The first stage couples to the second via the stock 500pf/500k/100pf bright cap. No grid stop resistor. At higher pot settings I'm getting asymmetrical cutoff clipping. I didn't think it should be as asymmetrical as I was seeing. I checked DC on the second stage grid and found that it's loading about -1V analogous to clipping. Such that there is no possibility of producing symmetrical clipping even when adjusting the cathode bias resistor value. So this stage clips cold due to grid loading. Fine. But unexpected with a 500pf coupling cap so I'm not sure that this is normal. I know this preamp is notorious for it's unique sound, and the amp does sound like I would expect. I was just wondering if this is "normal" or if I should be looking for a problem?

EDIT: You know what? Never mind. After careful review there's nothing "incorrect" about the circuit as I have it wired. Apparently it just does this. I could put a big grid stopper in there, but that wouldn't be accurate to the original design. Not sure why I've never noticed this action before in Marshall type circuits I've built. Maybe I just never looked for it. So... I hope this observation can help someone else. And thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 07-19-2015, 04:43 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Glad we could help...
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Don't forget about the bass pot wiring mistake they copied from Gibson for the top boost circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
        Don't forget about the bass pot wiring mistake they copied from Gibson for the top boost circuit.
        I thought about copying that but decided not to because my customer isn't nerdy enough to dig it. He would have been confused about why the tone stack didn't work right Also, this amp has a mid control, so, no good way to wire that up incorrectly also.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 07-20-2015, 12:18 AM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
          I seem to remember reading that Vox experts have conferred (may have included Stephen Grosvenor The Vox AC30 Guide ) and judged that it was likely intentional, rather than a mistake.
          Maybe as it allows 2 knobs to cover more ground.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
          X