OH no this amp is so clean!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guitician View Post
    If that slick stuff was silicone based and it's penetrated into components it may have caused some damage, maybe to the electrolytic caps.
    How would silicone damaged components? Lots of silicone in geetar amps holding specifically electros from vibrating against one another.

Comment

The kind of silicone used by manufacturers (hot glue, etc.) is designed to be permanent and bound. This case seems to be a sprayed-on cleaner or shine. A lot more volatile, and designed to be applied repeatedly. Think Armor-All, etc. It eventually evaporates, albeit slowly, but after 20 years of repeated application, who knows where it goes? And anything that smells that bad can't be good for anyrhing, man or robot.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The issue with silicone based emulsions is their nasty effect of softening anything between the silicone emulsifiers and the metal (steel) that the product is seeking out. You might try using 3M adhesive remover to clean off the heavily loaded surfaces.

You mentioned you are getting 140 W RMS into a 4 ohm load. Is this one of the later "red face" panel Concerts? I would put a signal through the preamp and check out if that is where you are getting what I assume is distortion.

Comment

Working...
        X