Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender deluxe 112 Plus. Really hot but sounding fine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful info here, which I used to solve the problem on this thread https://music-electronics-forum.com/...112-oscillates

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf
      ... First, these aren't ordinary 0.7 drop diodes.

These diodes drop from 1.3V to 2.5V (at 175 degrees). This has two implications: first, common 0.7 drop diodes are only ~half so please do not exchange the BYV26 for 1n4xxx one to one.

Secondly, these diodes are extremely sensible to heat.
      I often see people on this forum misreading semiconductor data sheets. In this case the Vishay data sheet says in abbreviated form: The Max Voltage Drop at 1 Amp is 2.5V Max @ 25 oC and 1.3V Max @ 175 oC. Link: https://www.vishay.com/docs/86040/byv26.pdf

If we do a little math, that is -8mV / oC at 1 Amp. That is pretty high for a forward Voltage tempco, which is usually in the range of -2 to -2.2mV / oC.. Looking at figure 4 (which is mislabeled on the Vishay data sheet), at 10mA, the Voltage drop is just over 1V and the tempco is more like -4.4mV / oC. Still high for a silicon diode, but about normal for two regular silicon diodes in series.

Biasing darlingtons is always tricky because the tempco isn't linear.

1V is just about right for biasing a darlington transistor in the output of a class AB amp. The input side transistor is On and the output side transistor is nearing conduction. Four 1N4xxx diodes wouldn't be that far off, you may need a resistor across one or two to bring the bias down.

Edit: added minus signs to tempco's.

Last edited by loudthud; 05-24-2022, 09:34 AM.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I don't understand. I used to make thermometers using 1N4148 as the sensor. Their tempco was -2mV/deg C. If you look at the BYV26 data sheet you'll see that the voltage drop is lower at 175 deg C than at 25deg C (a negative tempco) that's why they are in thermal contact with the heatsink. As the output stage gets hotter so do the diodes reducing their Vf and therefore the bias voltage.
        Last edited by Dave H; 05-24-2022, 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yes, tempco of a silicon diode junction in negative. Voltage drop goes down as temperature increases. I have edited my post above.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post

I often see people on this forum misreading semiconductor data sheets. In this case the Vishay data sheet says in abbreviated form: The Max Voltage Drop at 1 Amp is 2.5V Max @ 25 oC and 1.3V Max @ 175 oC. Link: https://www.vishay.com/docs/86040/byv26.pdf

If we do a little math, that is -8mV / oC at 1 Amp. That is pretty high for a forward Voltage tempco, which is usually in the range of -2 to -2.2mV / oC.. Looking at figure 4 (which is mislabeled on the Vishay data sheet), at 10mA, the Voltage drop is just over 1V and the tempco is more like -4.4mV / oC. Still high for a silicon diode, but about normal for two regular silicon diodes in series.

Biasing darlingtons is always tricky because the tempco isn't linear.

1V is just about right for biasing a darlington transistor in the output of a class AB amp. The input side transistor is On and the output side transistor is nearing conduction. Four 1N4xxx diodes wouldn't be that far off, you may need a resistor across one or two to bring the bias down.

Edit: added minus signs to tempco's.

You're absolutely right and I stand corrected. I drew the wrong conclusions and my post was misleading about the tempco and thermal runaway, so I requested it be deleted.
            Valvulados

Comment

Working...
            X