Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Micro Cube IC

Not much info on the newer SMD units.

Got one of these had a power supply problem.

Got it up and running but none of the functions work or change state.
    pumped a signal into the aux in and power amp works, but not preamp.

Then the unit will power down.

So, one of the control chips is running hot, the R02565501- can't find any info on it

Now I actually have one from a dead Boss vocal processor I can sub in, IF it's not programmable.

Anyone know what a 2565501 is?
    My Google-Fu has failed me.

Originally posted by drewl View Post
    Not much info on the newer SMD units.

Got one of these had a power supply problem.

Got it up and running but none of the functions work or change state.
    pumped a signal into the aux in and power amp works, but not preamp.

Then the unit will power down.

So, one of the control chips is running hot, the R02565501- can't find any info on it

Now I actually have one from a dead Boss vocal processor I can sub in, IF it's not programmable.

Anyone know what a 2565501 is?
    My Google-Fu has failed me.
    What's the marking on the package? is there a logo?

Comment

It's made by Boss.
      Findchips.com had nothing but googling it brought up vendors, no datasheets though.

And a bunch of sites from china.

Comment

Try Boss itself.

If not, I'd call that amp "disposable digital stuff" but I don't want Enzo to get angry with me

six DSP effects, COSM Amp Modeling and a new Digital Tuning Fork
        Clearly all that is done on software, so the IC from your vocal processor will have its own, and thus be incompatible.

It probably is worse: besides "effects" , without which you might probably survive, I bet *all* the preamp functions are also .... errrrrr ..... "emulated" so you are left with only speakers, supply and power amp .

At least you have a nice powered box for your MP3 or IPhone.

EDIT:
        Got curious and found that the always optimistic "stompbox guys" even Mod them !!!!
        Some pages about the Digital side modding no longer open but these might be of some use:
        http://www.lojeck.com/brian/MicroCubeRepair.html
        http://s84.photobucket.com/user/evan...?sort=3&page=1
        no, they don't address the failed processor, but give some cool ideas on what to do when you repair it.
        Last edited by J M Fahey; 09-24-2015, 04:56 AM.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I am angry."
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I am angry."
            Not so sure, maybe I would.

Because then you might "punish" me by forcing me to eat just another helping of you double hot spicy chili

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well it might be a standard controller chip with actual specific functions/commands coming from the nearby processor which does have the amp name on it.

Both sets are running the same clocks too.

May as well try, it's no good like this.

Comment

Well it might be a standard controller chip with actual specific functions/commands coming from the nearby processor which does have the amp name on it.

Both sets are running the same clocks too.

May as well try, it's no good like this.
                The R02565501 is the inventory part number of Roland/Boss.

The real part number of this IC is TC220CCA0AF.

This chip is an ASIC (application specific integrated circuit), which is customized for specific (non-standard) use. Roland customizes the chip as the DSP.

As usual DSP it is controlled by a microprocessor (through the address bus and data bus), and it has digital ports for external ADC and DAC.

I attached the specifications, but this document is intended for designers and does not provide the information necessary to understand that this chip is doing in this application.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's what I figured.

I swapped with the one I had which ran even hotter.

It didn't work, but it also didn't shut down.
                  It just kind of made weird oscillating sounds varying with amp setting.
                  It may be bad as the microprocessor that drove it in another unit was fried.

Comment

Just curious (supposing you can't get the proper replacemant ) , can the preamp and proceessor be detached and you still get to use the PSU and power amp?
                    What kind of voltages does it provide?
                    What's the power chip?
                    *Maybe* you can fit some simple preamp there.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

It's really not worth the effort.
                      A customer wouldn't want a piece if crap like that when they can get another disposable one cheap enough.
                      You could replace a board if you can get one from the manufacturer but that's cost prohibitive.

Our time is limited folks unless people keep buying tube amps.

Comment

It's really not worth the effort.
                        A customer wouldn't want a piece if crap like that when they can get another disposable one cheap enough.
                        You could replace a board if you can get one from the manufacturer but that's cost prohibitive.

Our time is limited folks unless people keep buying tube amps.
                        Oh, definitely.

I was thinking along the lines of the customer abandoning it and you adapting it to the IPod or something.
                        They claim 20 hours life out of those puny AA batteries.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                        X