Marshall JTM30 bias mod problem & IC3 (LM348) problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    I would measure the Volts ac signal at the output tube grids with the amp maxed.
    Use a 100mv/ 1K signal in.

If you see a 30Vac RMS signal & the tubes are known to be good, you may have a bad output transformer.

If there is a feedback resistor, I would lift it for the test.
    It will be Friday before I can get back to it, but I will definitely perform this test first thing. From what I can tell there is no negative feedback loop. I will install a known good set of power tubes for testing purposes.

Just trying to wrap my head around this: Given this amp has a problematic bias circuit, are you suggesting the bias voltage could be affected by an OT that is potentially failing? Or are there potentially two separate problems? Thanks JPB.

Comment

My guess is he is dealing with the lack of volume as a separate issue. That is my take also.
      As far as the bias circuit, I've lost track a bit, have C126 and C127 been replaced? R107 and R133 verified correct value and good connection?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

UPDATE: Came across this 2015 amp repair in my records and realize I had forgotten to update this thread.

Ended up removing all components in the bias string and realized the previous modder had installed C126 backwards. I had missed that previously. Installed a new 10/100 cap at C126 and replaced all components in the bias string with the 56K R - 50K pot - 56K R at ZD101, ZD102, and ZD103. Was able to adjust bias within the desired range with a pair of 6L6GC, which was the goal all along.

As I had stated a couple times, the issue was so simple I couldn't see it.

Comment

Working...
        X