Fender G Dec Jr signal loss at Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender G Dec Jr signal loss at Codec

I have a G Dec Jr in my shop that plays great for about 20 seconds and then the sound goes away. If I plug in headphones I can hear a fainrt output (but barely). I have checked the voltages throughout. I cleaned the Aux in and Headphone jacks. I have a good signal through the input all the way to the input to pin17 (LIN) on the codec (U13). When the amp is working a strong signal is present at the output of the Codec (Pin25, 24 rpectively). When the amp shoots crap, there is no signal on any output (Pins 27, 26, 25, 24).

I would be stupid enough to actually try to change the codec (CS4271), ( It would give me a chance to really use my Amscope on something meaningful)

HOWEVER! I know that the Codec makes analog things digital and then makes digital things analog ...so ...Because my old eyes, even with the aid of a really cool microcsope, might let me get away with changing the codec but no way the DSP. (It reminds me of my hair: white, real fine and about the same number of them.)

So, since I am trying to do this just for the learning experience (The amp is in no way worth all this effort), does anybody out there have any thoughts on this ?Or maybe it happens all the time and everyone knows abut it but me. I know Fender says don't do it, but, Fire Truck!, that just insights me.

Frankly I would suspect the legs of the CODEC need to be reflowed rather than replaced.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's possible, I've done my share of reflowing leads of SMD devices from new unit production line failures.

You want to get a thin iron tip, thin solder and just slide your iron across the pins while feeding the solder slowly.
      It's easy once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Lots of flux helps.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I used to used lots of flux and a single nozzle on a Hako hot air extractor. You also might, before you do anything else, look up the owner's manual and perform the hard reset sequence. I've seen all kinds of weird problems resolved on DSP amps with a simple hard reset.

Comment

Working...
          X