Cornell Dubilier caps- date and condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornell Dubilier caps- date and condition

Whelp, I thought I was gettin' a deal..... I got some reasonably priced Cornell Dubilier 'lectros for some old solid state gear
    with beefcake power supplies. They arrived and I immediately noticed that they looked a little rough. They are scuffed up,
    one has a tear in the outer insulation, and several of them have minor dents; looks like they were thrown around in boxes....

Looks like the manufacturer code business is: 658-9533-845

CDE must be 658, right?

Is the year and week the 845 with 8 being, 2008, 1998, 1988 etc?

I'm not really worried about the scuffs, I can cover the insulation tear (I'm not using them in a negative supply anyway), but the minor dents and the age have me a little concerned.

I got them here:

400R392U100AC8 CDE capacitor 3,900uF 100V Aluminum Electrolytic Large Can Computer Grade 2020001613

Should I stay away from the deals down at the lot?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	870173

The dents have probably misshapen the inner foil.

At 100 Vdc, I would not use them.

Comment

That's what I was fearing. Thank you.

Comment

The least abused of the CDE caps you've purchased might come back (if old) by carefully forming them.

Vintage caps are often not a bargain, nice new fresh caps from UCC, Nichicon and Panasonic are about $5 each at Mouser, at these ratings (3900uF/100V)

Comment

I would expect 9533 to be the date code, 33rd week of 1995. So 20 years old.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X