Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kalamazoo Model 1...how to make it brighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalamazoo Model 1...how to make it brighter?

My 1965ish model 1 has had it's multi-cap replaced. Everything else is original. It sounds great when cranked for crunch tones, but I would like brighter clean tones. I always have the tone knob all the way up. I have a new Jensen C10Q in it so I don't think it's the speaker. Are there any likely parts that could need replacing to brighten it up? Any modifications to the circuit that might bring out some more highs?

Originally posted by Triocd View Post
    My 1965ish model 1 has had it's multi-cap replaced. Everything else is original. It sounds great when cranked for crunch tones, but I would like brighter clean tones. I always have the tone knob all the way up. I have a new Jensen C10Q in it so I don't think it's the speaker. Are there any likely parts that could need replacing to brighten it up? Any modifications to the circuit that might bring out some more highs?
    If I recall correctly the Kalamazoo 1 has no bypass cap on its first stage preamp cathode. If this is the case you can zing up the top end with a small value bypass cap here: I'd try 0.1 to 1 uF. Lower values will add some presence to uppermost frequencies, as you increase the capacitance, the boost will reach into mid frequencies. No more than a couple volts on that cathode R, any film cap will do, or a 1 uF electrolytic if you go that far. Select one that makes your ears happy & off you go, easy & cheap. Jensen C10Q is an excellent choice, you'll hear the difference undoubtedly with that speaker.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
    X