finally, and you got tobe kidding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally, and you got tobe kidding!

Working on an NAD2275 receiver amp, blown channel.
    Rebuilt it and was testing and adjusting it, with light bulb limiter they even suggested using in the service manual.

Well it would randomly go nuts and light up the bulb.
    At first I thought it looked like output devices shorting to heatsink, or bad connection as flexing board would cause failure.
    Except it was go into high frequency oscillation when it would die.

Turned out to be a stupid little 22pf cap.
    I thought they were rated for high voltage, guess not.

Might not have been voltage killed the cap.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A little ceramic disc puff cap?
      Don't they last forever?

Twas voltage killed thee cap!

Comment

MAybe, but they can die from cracking, or solder heat, or other things that weaken them.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What a lot of techs overlook in old amp sections is bias pots. They oxidize get intermittent and burn up amps. I almost always replace them when I have a catastrophic output failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            MAybe, but they can die from cracking, or solder heat, or other things that weaken them.
            Such as a convergence of supernatural forces. I bet if you went to Haiti you could buy a 22pf doll and some pins to stick in it.

Comment

Oh lord, now I will have to learn acupuncture repair...

Comment

When I go through an acupuncture session my only consolation is: ok, I'm suffering the pins here ... so some *other* fat guy is getting very very sick .

Naah, just kidding, got quite an OCD about anything punching through my skin, any needle (including Tatoos,medicines and ... uh ... "recreational stuff") or piercings so the only way to punch through my skin would be by shooting me ... and that wouldn't be easy either.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X