Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PV Classic 30 Pre Heaters Dead

Hello

I have a PV Classic 30 on the bench with dead preamp tube heaters. I am getting no voltage to the filament pins. The power tube heaters were also dead but found a broken jumper connecting FIL1 on the schematic and the EL84s are now glowing but all 3 preamps are not.

I suspect I have another bad jumper to replace somewhere but can't figure out where the preamp heater voltages (FIL A and FIL B on preamp heater pins) originate from? They are not listed on the schematic that I can see.

Any help/insight is appreciated.
    Schematic is attached.
    Attached Files

V3b gets the -36V, V1A has the ground, the rest of the filaments are in series between those.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ah now I see. thanks for clarifying. Going to start tracking now

Comment

Seeing 1.8vAC on V3 pin 5. No -36v per the schematic

Confused by how these filaments are wired really:
        V3A pin 4 and V2B pin 5 are marked "FIL A"
        V2A pin 4 and V1B pin 5 are marked "FIL B"
        V1A pin 4 is marked with a series symbol?
        V3B pin 5 marked with -36v

So which pins should be seeing voltage and how much?

Comment

OK new problem. This thing is making me nuts. Found another broken jumper and replaced it. Got the preamp tubes lighting. Then R67 burns up???

it is a 180R resistor feeding -30v somewhere. Any ideas?

This thing is making me crazy

Comment

Never mind. Bad reverb opamp causing R67 to cook. Replaced both and good to go.

Terrible amps to work on. Why would you ever fold up a circuit board and put 200 jumpers on it when there is plenty of room in the chassis to lay it out flat

Comment

Make sure your jumper connection is clean and didn't jump over to another component or wire. The only other thing that would cause that is a short somewhere maybe in the -15 volt circuit but there really isn't enough current in that circuit to fry that resistor so check that jumper good.
              KB

Comment

Working...
              X