Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echoplex won't erase.

I hate these things.

Anyway, early solid state EP2, electronics all correct, heads measure right, getting weak echo and it won't erase.

I think the heads are magnetized.

Anything else to check before I give up on it?

I use to have a degaussing pen. I don't know it there's a DIY way to do it without a unit made just for tape heads, I've never tried. Worst case you can replace the record/erase head for about a hundred bucks. I didn't bother with a link because I found parts so easily.

*NOTE: They sure know what to charge, don't they? That head price plus whatever else it may need is right on the edge of fixing it or leaving it in the closet on the "some day" shelf
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yeah, its not mine and I don't think owner wants to dump money into it.
      I fixed his Line 6 DL4 which does Echoplex and more.

I've repaired several in the past but don't have the time to mess with it.

Thanks.

Comment

Accumulated magnetic charge usually lops off the highs, not killing erase. In fact the erase head should demag itself constantly.

Get out your scope, is the pretty hot erase signal on the erase head? The same signal is used as record bias on the record head, is it there? It doesn't erase, but does it record? Oh yes, you say it records weakly. SOunds to me like your bias oscillator is not running.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          SOunds to me like your bias oscillator is not running.
          That right there. ^ ^ ^ Bet your heads are OK. Wouldn't hurt to demag, but if your bias circuit is weak, you'll have the symptoms you mentioned.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Dammit.

Had bias oscillator, oscillating like a mo-fo-
            Wasn't getting where it needed to- small hairline crack on PC board.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
              Had bias oscillator, oscillating like a mo-fo-
              Wasn't getting where it needed to- small hairline crack on PC board.
              Luv them hairline cracks, when you finde 'em & fix 'em you come up lookin' a hero! Yaaay!
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thumbs up thanks for giving me the idea to check bias circuit.

You forget things when you don't work on odd stuff after a while.
                At least I do.

Comment

my ep2 doesnt erase... not supposed to.... it rerecords over the old sound......sos might be dif

frank uboat

Comment

Hi uboat, welcome to the forum.

That is not correct, it has to erase to make way for the new signal to be recorded. That is what the erase head is there for. Erasing is part of the recording process. See schematic below. if it had no erase function, it would lay new material down over the old, but the old would remain, causing an ever increasing pile of noise.

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Effects..._5939-9067.pdf
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

hi enzo.... i looked at your schematic and it shows three heads... mine has two actual heads and when i checked again i noticed the sliding head is actually a record and erase head.... i stand corrected....all this time i thought the recording function erased the old recording.....thanks... im not to old or dumb to learn something new afterall, or to admit i was wrong

frankie uboat
                      Last edited by uboat229; 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM. Reason: re edit

Comment

Working...
                      X