Mosfet replacement advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosfet replacement advice

Just going over some data sheets and I am wondering if it is safe to replace an IFRP250N with an IRFP260N.....The 260 has higher rating and a lower ON resistance than the 250...My concern is if I used the 260 and later a fault occured, it is possible that circuitry could get damaged before the transistors opened up or shorted and blew the fuse...due to the fact they can handle more current????.The unit in question is a Wharfdale Titan Pro 12 powered monitor....Currently, it has 250's there and I was just wondering if it would be wise to use the 260's.....I realise that the 260's are beefier, but would that be a sensible thing to do??
    Cheers
    P.S. I can use 250's but I would have to order them....I have some 260's here........

Once transistors short it's irrelevant how much current they could safely pass when alive; remaining circuit, power supply, etc, will be as damaged as with the original ones.

Yes, you can safely use what you have (personally I have even used IRFP450 , way higher voltage rating and ON resistance (still in the tenths of ohms) with no problems whatsoever.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Once transistors short it's irrelevant how much current they could safely pass when alive; remaining circuit, power supply, etc, will be as damaged as with the original ones.

Yes, you can safely use what you have (personally I have even used IRFP450 , way higher voltage rating and ON resistance (still in the tenths of ohms) with no problems whatsoever.
      Thanks JM....

Comment

Working...
      X