Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the "speaker grill" section of Fender amp heads

A few Fender amp head cabinet questions

The following questions all pertain to the section of the amp head under the control plate – the section that looks like the grill cloth on Fender speaker cabinets. And to keep it simple, we are only talking about amps from around 1960 (+/-) to the very early 80s - from the brown and/or white tolex era to the end of the silver face era.

1. on some heads, this section is just like speaker grill cloth – the cloth material stretched over a wood frame – the cabinet behind the cloth is wide open. On other amps, this cloth / frame sits in front of a solid wood panel. Anyone know when this change was made? Did the change happen to all models or only to certain amp models?

2. There are no connections visible from the front of the amp (no screw heads, neither end of a bolt / nut assembly, no obvious connector of any type) I don’t have access to any amp heads where I am, so I can’t just shine a flashlight into the back end and look around. How are these grill cloth assemblies attached to the amp head? Are they just like speaker grills with Velcro?

3. Has anyone out there ever given the grill cloth from silver face era Fenders a thorough scrub down? The cloth on my amp head is currently several shades darker than normal due to smoke / soot damage. My goal is to remove the panel from the amp head cabinet and perform the following steps: vacuum, dry brush-down and another vacuum, followed by wet brush down and let dry in air. But I’d like to check with anyone who has done anything similar – any lessons learned? Anything to avoid?

Thanks

Originally posted by lexington125 View Post
    1. on some heads, this section is just like speaker grill cloth – the cloth material stretched over a wood frame – the cabinet behind the cloth is wide open. On other amps, this cloth / frame sits in front of a solid wood panel. Anyone know when this change was made? Did the change happen to all models or only to certain amp models?
    I've never seen a Fender head with a grill panel constructed as a frame like a removable speaker grill. Can you name a model?

Comment

In an effort to describe two different situations, I provided poor descriptions - a better description would have been:
      1. grill cloth in front of a solid wood panel
      2. grill cloth over a partly open / vented panel (more like a speaker grill) - my Bassman 135 as an example of an open / vented panel

my mistake

Comment

The solid grill panel construction was used for all the original Blonde, Brown and Blackface era heads. The board was made of 3/8" plywood with 3/8" thick X 1" wide plywood strips around the perimeter on the inside. This made a 3/4" thick grill board as measured at the edge.
        The grill assembly was held in place with 4 wood screws accessible from the rear inside of the cabinet. (No Velcro nor clips used)
        The attached photo shows the internal head cabinet construction.
        Cheers,
        Tom
        Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Showman_Head Cab 7132.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	841466

Comment

I can check my 67 Bassman head, but I recall my 74 Bassman 100 had a solid piece of particle board with the grill cloth stretched over it, and it was secured with Velcro in the corners, like the later-period SF amps. When I dropped it and the cabinet fell apart (it had already lived a very rough life when I bought it), I replaced it with a solid board with "custom" graphics on the front, screwed on from the front of the amp. But that doesn't matter!

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The solid grill panel construction was used for all the original Blonde, Brown and Blackface era heads. The board was made of 3/8" plywood with 3/8" thick X 1" wide plywood strips around the perimeter on the inside. This made a 3/4" thick grill board as measured at the edge.
            The grill assembly was held in place with 4 wood screws accessible inside the cabinet. (No Velcro nor clips used)
            The attached photo shows the internal head cabinet construction.
            Cheers,
            Tom

Your reply was very helpful. Of course, my Bassman 135 is a silver face head, any chance they are the same as the earlier types mentioned in your ad?
            I had a few minutes this morning and snapped a photo from the back side of the amp head. Note the two screws highlighted in RED. How do these ‘grab’ the thin plywood panel? I can’t believe that the screws attach to something under 3/8” (the thickness of the front panel)

Click image for larger version

Name:	grill_attach_screws.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	841475

Anyway…. If I remove these screws, and the two on the other side, will the front panel, including grill cloth and logo, all come free of the amp head cabinet? What holds the grill cloth to the 3/8” board – staples similar to those used on the tolex? If not, where can I learn what is required? Sorry if I seem like I moron, but this fire damage is causing me to go off into areas I had never had any reason to explore previously.

The entire cabinet is covered in black soot. Having the front of the cabinet wide open would make the cleaning MUCH easier.

Thanks

Comment

Of course, my Bassman 135 is a silver face head, any chance they are the same as the earlier types mentioned in your ad?
              I had a few minutes this morning and snapped a photo from the back side of the amp head. Note the two screws highlighted in RED. How do these ‘grab’ the thin plywood panel? I can’t believe that the screws attach to something under 3/8” (the thickness of the front panel)
              The front panel on your amp is held on by the 4 screws that you have found. The front panel is 3/4" thick at the edges, so the screws will hold with no problem.

What holds the grill cloth to the 3/8” board – staples similar to those used on the tolex? If not, where can I learn what is required?
              Yes, staples hold the grill cloth on the panel. Once you remove the panel it will all be very clear to you how it is done.

Comment

Thanks to all - tonight will be front panel removal night.

Comment

...my Bassman 135 is a silver face head, any chance they are the same as the earlier types mentioned in your ad?
                  I had a few minutes this morning and snapped a photo from the back side of the amp head...
                  Based on your posted photo it appears that the grill board in your amp is a solid piece of 3/4 " thick MDF "wood." As 52 Bill confirmed, the grill board will come free when you remove the four screws and you will see the staples that hold the grill cloth in place.

Comment

Working...
                  X