Best way to check filtering quality of Power/Line Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to check filtering quality of Power/Line Conditioner

Does anyone here have an opinion as to a convenient way to check the filtering quality of a line surge protector/power conditioner? Would an oscilloscope work? I want to put a good surge supressor on some of my amps to hopefully prevent problems down the road, but want a good quality one, and would like to be able to check it and not rely solely on the manufacturer's claims.

Thanks.

Many of these tests are pretty sophisticated and require specialized HV pulse equipment, it may be best to study the ANSI/IEEE standards and find units from reputable companies which are guaranteed to meet the relevant standards. Line filters are often distinct from simple surge suppressors but many units combine these functions.

Comment

OK, thank you. I did not know there was a difference. Can you please explain?

Comment

This AV site goes through many of the issues of power management without too much obvious hyperbole:
        Power Line Conditioners: Use of Power Protection in the Home Theater

IMHO:
        Surge Suppressors are an (imperfect) insurance policy against (sometimes rare) voltage spikes in the AC line
        Line filters attempt to filter out non 50-60Hz AC signals going into (or out of) equipment usually using passive components such as film caps and inductors.
        UPS systems seek to provide uniform AC voltage to equipment irrespective of changes in the AC supply

Some systems combine these functions. In general surge suppressors can be an inexpensive safe addition to any expensive equipment and the other two options are usually only needed if specific problems are encountered.

Comment

Great, thank you. I'll read it.

Comment

Testing a line filter/surge protector/power conditioner isn't something that's easy to do without shortening the life of the unit. If it contains MOVs to clamp the voltage the life of these can be compromised by testing. Under the worst conditions, such as a nearby (but not direct) lightning strike the unit can be destroyed, but if you're lucky the connected equipment will be protected. A manufacturer can afford to test units under destructive conditions where you may not be inclined to do so.

Comment

That happened here, two MOV-based units totally burned (and tripped breakers), but the upstream equipment was all OK.

Comment

If it's not a SurgeX brand protector, I'd just as soon have a Tripp brand with no protection at all.

Comment

Working...
                X