JJ Tubes EL34 failing too early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbono View Post
    This would be nice - please keep us posted.
    What's being called "Svetlana" these days? The Winged-C or the other one?
    Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
      What's being called "Svetlana" these days? The Winged-C or the other one?
      Whatever =C= , Winged-C, Flying C Svets, that are still on the shelf are being sold at nosebleed prices.

All should be aware that (who else) New Sensor has been selling their own tubes under the Svetlana name for over a decade now, since they settled the foofaraw with the real Svetlana in the early 2000's. Under the agreement New Sensor were supposed to NOT sell their Saratov made tubes labeled Svetlana in EU countries, but they did sell them in North America while the real Svetlana used the =C= symbol to designate their product. Now that the real Svetlana is no longer making so called "receiving tubes" such as 6L6, 6550, KT88, EL34, 12AX7/ECC83 we must expect profit pressure will bring New Sensor's ersatz Svets to EU. Note that on New Sensor's website their Svet receiving tubes are marked "no shipments to EU."

How did this come about? New Sensor bought the US distributor of Svetlana tubes "Audio Glassics" of Huntsville Alabama in the mid/late 90's, and thus acquired the "right" to distribute in North America under the Svetlana name. To further cornfuse things, Audio Glassics not only distributed Svets, but whatever they could get their hands on. For instance in my collection of odds & sods there's a pair of Audio Glassic Chinese copies of Russian 6P3 (the cheap charlie 6L6 that was more like a 6V6 except for biasing) in blue glass bottles. Wow, blue! Whoop dee dooo. Maybe I'll flog 'em in the Flea Market one of these days.

Is that all clear? Clear as mud... what's being called "Svetlana", is both. If you're looking for the "real" ones from St. Petersburg, check for the =C= and date codes from about 2001 to 2012. Prior to that they were labeled Svetlana and you have to look at what's inside the glass & compare it to the authentic item to be sure. The rarely seen "real" Svet 12AX7 has an enormous flat plate, may be either grey or silver color (nickel probably). Good ones sound fabulous and lousy ones sound, well they make their own sounds without any input, none of them good but some are amusing.

Haven't seen it happen yet, but with no one looking out for the rights of the real Svetlana company, I suppose Saratov-manufactured Svets will show up in EU distribution any day now, of course with a premium price reflecting their supposed "legacy" status.

Yes it would be a wonderful thing to have the real Svets back in production, and one step better if the tooling from EI (which AFAIK came from Telefunken) could also be put back to work, with properly trained techs and serious quality control. OTOH as Stan says, the world market isn't much for tubes now or in the future. It would take someone with a lot of determination and a taste for quixotic adventure IOW someone who's rich enough they'd stay afloat whether the project succeeds or not. Any volunteers out there?
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I have a bunch of Svets 12AX7's that sound like shit, some of them tune into radio stations on their own. I guess I bought the ones made in Swaziland.
        Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by blindboybenton View Post
          Hi Mick. May I ask who you are using for tube supplier ?
          I've been been buying from Karltone and the service has been excellent, though his range is very limited. The odd tube failure I've had has been dealt with swiftly and professionally with no dispute or wrangling. I also get some tubes from Watford. The problem is that I don't get trade prices with either, and the shipping is steep. Paying retail is a killer.

Comment

If you're looking for the "real" ones from St. Petersburg, check for the =C= and date codes from about 2001 to 2012.
            How about having both logos on the box:

http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/wp-con...5790042343.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

That's the one made in Paraguay.
              Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

That's an 811, a radio transmitting tube, not a "receiving tube." The =C= tells us (presumably) real St. Pete Svetlana. AFAIK Svet continues making some radio transmitting tubes, but you won't find them much used in guitar/bass amps. Stan made huge hi fi amps with oil-immersed transmitter tubes. I'm sure those amps help keep listening rooms toasty warm during chilly Russian winter nights.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                  Their E34L's are awesome, in my experience.

EDIT: Funny how several members recommend EH when it's the brand that gave me the most problems in the past 10 years.
                  me too--their el34's !

i always use JJ and have never had a problem with any of the types

Comment

That's the one made in Paraguay.
                    I didn't know they made tubes.

That's an 811, a radio transmitting tube, not a "receiving tube".
                    These are used mainly in HiFi amps. Back in the days Svetlana released the SV811 and SV572 series which got quite popular in the HiFi circles.

Comment

Working...
                    X