Traynor YBA-2B Chassis Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YBA-2B Chassis Mystery

I'm working on my first Traynor combo, a later YBA-2B with EL84 power tubes. My question is simple and embarrassing: how do I get the chassis out of the cabinet? I can't push it out the front because the speaker baffle blocks the transformers. I can't push it out the back because two little Tolexed trim strips block the chassis. I've looked everywhere for hidden screws (none), tried to lift the top off (won't), gently tried to pry the trim strips off (nope), and jiggled the chassis around at every conceivable angle (no).

I'm prepared to feel like a moron. Anybody?

The top comes off. It can get sticky with age. Give it a whack with a rubber mallet or something.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Is it really necessary to pull the chassis out of the box? Many Traynors of this period had the handy feature of removing only the top board from the box & there's all the amp innards. AND the amp's schematic pasted to the underside of that top board. You wouldn't have to remove the chassis unless replacing transformers.

Can't say I've worked on the YBA-2B though. Maybe Traynor foxed us on this one.

Might help if you could post a photo of the amp.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

OK guys, I'll try whanging on the top some more. I did already, but I did it with a regular hammer and I was maybe too gentle. I'll dig out my rubber mallet.

Comment

You can try loosening off the side screws also as they can cause the top to get 'pinched' if they are too tight.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well, I felt like I was breaking the cabinet, but it finally came loose. Had to lay it on it's side to get enough swinging power. Thanks for the intel gentlemen.

Comment

Decades of gunk causing it to stick!

Worked on one last year, same thing.

Comment

One last note, if someone has to do this and doesn't have a rubber mallet, put a short piece of 2 X 4 or other wood against the cab and then hit that with a regular hammer.
                Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

For the purposes of posterity, so later searches may benefit, I want to back g1's post. Loosen the side screws to take some compression off the lid.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    For the purposes of posterity, so later searches may benefit, I want to back g1's post. Loosen the side screws to take some compression off the lid.
                    Agreed. That and DRH1958's "stick", apply one end to the underside of the box lid & give the other end a whack with your favorite hammer. You may have to turn the box sideways or upside down to get a good strike angle. Traynors, built tough back then. Great amps still at "sleeper" prices, get 'em while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      Traynors, built tough back then.
                      I can't factually confirm this, but I read somewhere that Pete was known to drop amps off the roof of the factory as a durability test!
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        I can't factually confirm this, but I read somewhere that Pete was known to drop amps off the roof of the factory as a durability test!
                        Out of the 2nd story window is what I heard. "The Defenestration of Toronto." Look out below!

Comment

Traynors are unseen here in Argentina.
                          Can you please post some picture showing the removable top and how is it attached to chassis or cabinets?
                          Does it use wood or metal screws?
                          What do he "side screws" grab on?
                          Thanks.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Side screws go into the chassis. They are 1/4-20 large head screws. The top screws are also 1/4-20 but longer. They go through holes in the top lip of the chassis and into nuts on the bottom surface. I'll snap some pictures.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by loudthud; 08-10-2016, 09:59 PM.
                            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Always good to loosen the side screw for panel removal if they aren't loose already.

Comment

Working...
                              X