No announcement yet.

Fender Supersonic 60 combo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of putting the original transformer back but then I have the 60hz/50hz problem. So far the only 220V transformer I can find is from Mercury at over $200 and that isn't including shipping to Thailand. I have looked all over online and can't find one. I wrote to Fender and asked where I could get one but as of yet no reply. What about using a voltage regulator? If I could get 240VAC would that make everything ok? I should have sold this in the states and bought another when I got here but who knew?
    Last edited by gtto; 09-20-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtto View Post
      Plate voltage was 425V which is lower than I have heard it should be. I don't know if this has anything to do with the power in Thailand or the fact that the power transformer was swapped for a 220 version.
      Neither.
      You pulled a HOT Supersonic transformer, meant to give hairy +485V +V and replaced it with a milder transformer, designed as a drop-in replacement for a Hot Rod Deville.
      So now expect HRD voltages, what else?

I still donīt buy the 4.5VAC filament voltage.

240>220 would explain above calculated around 5.8VAC ; 3.8A>4.2A actual drain might explain further lowering to, say, 5.6 V , still very far from 4.5V which is ludicrous.
      Amp sould be comatose, if working at all.

And that 71V reading instead of 27 does not exactly increase trust on measurement technique.

1) please measure filament voltage across P13/P14 , straight where transformer wires reach the PCB.
      2) please measure ACV from p15 to p16, then from P16 to P17 , same considerations.
      Then remeasure VAC from TP10 to ground.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by J M Fahey; 09-20-2016, 07:15 AM.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

JM,
        As stated in my original post my electronics knowledge is very low. In fact it has gone up ten fold since beginning all of this which is at least something positive. I really appreciate all the help I have been getting here. I took the measurements as you suggested. They are....5.4VAC across P13/P14, 24VAC across 15/16, 24.2VAC across 16/17 and 24VAC at tp10. I think I read the wrong side of the resistor before. Actually I am sure of it. Plate voltage at pin 5 is 418 V. FWIW the transformer was the one recommended by Hammond for the Supersonic and I didn't have the knowledge to question it. So now what?
        Last edited by gtto; 09-20-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Have you measured your mains (wall outlet) voltage?
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

yes. 220.

Comment

Working...
            X