Fender Hot Rod Deluxe PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe PROBLEM

Got a HRDX in for repair. Complaint was (making noise,no reverb and channel-switching issues)....imagine that!? Powered it up and sure enough lots of hiss and crackling noise.
    After inspecting, I noticed some charred pins on the V2 socket. It had taken a lot of heat and pins 5,6,7&8 were scorched and loose to the board. The traces on 6,7& 8 were burnt. I took the socket out and cleaned up the area. I have re-mounted the socket and ran jumper wire from 6,7 & 8 to the correct harness attachment pins. I checked continuity to all the connections.
    After rewiring , I powered up and saw a whiff of smoke in that area after flipping the standby on. I quickly turned off and double checked the wiring work and the resistors R19,20,21,22,25 that are associated with pins 6,7 & 8. Those res. checked good. I replaced R20 & 22 and C9 for assurance.
    After powering up again, I have no smoke, but V2 is not warming up. The heaters are all measuring 3.5AC.
    Voltage reading on V2 socket are 1(425vdc) 2(-.026) 3(-.031) 6(427vdc) 7(.09) 8(-.026)
    Pin 7 seems odd as it has been variable from .555 to .09vdc
    V1 and V3 have similar readings with 425VDC on pins 1&6
    Any help, advice, direction would be appreciated....THX in advance!

With no voltage readings on the cathode pins and too high a voltage on the plates, you know that the tube is not conducting. If the filament voltages are correct and the filaments are lighting up, then check for bad grounds on the cathode resistor/cap circuit.

Comment

With V1 having 425 volts on the plates, it's not conducting either. This would cause both V1,2 to have screen voltage(425 v) on the plates since there would be no voltage drop in the power supply. It sounds like the PI (V3) isn't conducting either because all three tubes, V1,2,3 have screen voltage on the plates. With no current flow on the B+ rail after the choke(screen grid node), there will be no voltage drops, so then all tubes after will be at screen voltage.

EDIT: here's the schematic. It might be good to see if a trace got damaged as well.

Fender_hotrod_deluxe.pdf
      Last edited by DRH1958; 09-14-2016, 10:07 PM.
      Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

I had been away from this repair for several days. This is what I have now on voltages.
        V1 250V on plates , .001 on grids, 1.9 on cathodes
        V2 378V on plates .214 & 3.3 on grids, .004 & .008 on cathodes
        V3 256V on plates, 24V on grids, 38V on cathodes
        Initial burnt pins and traces on pins 6,7,8 of V2. Specifically, what may have caused that to begin with? What components?
        I have downloaded the schematic but cant seem to detect any bad res/caps associated with this part of the circuit. Any particular test points that I should be checking?

Comment

V2 is still not working.

A few items must be to get the tube to conduct properly.

A load resistor from the power supply to the plate (the resistor allows a signal to be developed & passed to next stage)
          A cathode resistor (usually grounded)
          A known good tube.
          Heater voltage on the proper pins.

The Test Points as marked on the schematic are two types:
          Oval: Vac signal amplitude
          Rectangle: Vdc static voltages (no signal applied)

Comment

Thanks for the help on this. I finally found the "error of my ways". When repairing the burnt traces of pins 5.6.7 & 8 Of V2 with jumper wires, I had mistakenly connected pin 5 to pin 9 also. After correcting that, V2 is operating at 219VDC on the plates. WHEW!!!

Comment

Working...
            X