Adhesives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesives

Maybe somebody here has had some experience with this......Microphone capsules that are set in a plastic housing and somehow glued in place....The Apex line of mics are one in particular....I have no idea of what type of adhesive is used in mics like these....maybe somebody here on the forum might have some ideas....and of course, dealing with plastic one will have to be careful.....

I ran across a method a couple weeks ago on YouTube, how to remove the transformer from an SM57. Involves heating the body of the mic in boiling or very hot water to loosen the gloppy adhesive holding it in place. Might use that idea on your mic. At least it's water & not solvents. The real action starts about 4 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVzXAgOFYw
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'd think they would use silicone, as it would have at least a teeny tiny bit of shock absorption.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        I ran across a method a couple weeks ago on YouTube, how to remove the transformer from an SM57. Involves heating the body of the mic in boiling or very hot water to loosen the gloppy adhesive holding it in place. Might use that idea on your mic. At least it's water & not solvents. The real action starts about 4 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVzXAgOFYw
        Thanks Leo...I'll check that out...

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
          I'd think they would use silicone, as it would have at least a teeny tiny bit of shock absorption.
          No sir....no silicone here....looks like a black plastic housing threaded down into the top of the mic body, with the threads possibly coated with some form of adhesive...then a rubber shock mount is attached to this plastic housing and also to the mic capsule.....so the mic capsule floats......

Comment

Sometimes Iīve seen a type of conventional neoprene based contact cement ... problem is that it uses a quite aggresive solvent: Toluene or Xylene with a bit of Acetone which attacks most plastics.

Although counterintuitive, itīs a desireable property because it helps fresh adhesive to "dig in" for stronger adhesion, but a buitch to remove, because the excess solvent needed to soften it will deffinitely destroy plastic.

Mic capsules in general are supposed to be replaceable, although in many cases it may mean damaging or destroying the old one.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Maybe Yorkville can tell you what they use for removal/re-assembly.
              I'm thinking something similar to what they use on rubber speaker surrounds.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Maybe Yorkville can tell you what they use for removal/re-assembly.
                I'm thinking something similar to what they use on rubber speaker surrounds.
                I think that when they do re-cones, they have a lathe which they use to clean the speaker frames.....All of their speakers I have seen so far have cloth surrounds.....the ones with rubber surrounds are just replaced as far as I know as they are too cheap to re-cone?.I could be wrong.....I'll double check with Uncle Guy....
                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X