Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Falcon missing reverb transformer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Falcon missing reverb transformer.

I've got a Falcon that is missing it's reverb transformer. How do I figure out what an appropriate replacement would be for it?

It's driven by the plate of a 7199 and the reverb tank is a Hammond 17" with no model number on it. The output of the tank seems to be an open circuit, according to my meter. So I may just be replacing that tank also.

Originally posted by rf7 View Post
    I've got a Falcon ...missing it's reverb transformer... How do I...
    Hi rf7; Here's a link to Mercury Magnetics; http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

Down the page, there's a Gibson 'GA RV' model suggesting that it might be compatible with many / most / all Gibson designs; they could tell you for sure.

Re/ reverb can, the Accutronics people are pretty good about working with you to determine which of their models matches up.

Good luck! JH

Comment

If an end of the pan is open, it is no good.

How far off can the standard Fender reverb transformer be? I'd try one of those and ise a plain old 4AB2C1B.

The Falcon drawing I have shows a 12AT7 driving things. Typical of Gibson...
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjuan View Post
        Hi rf7; Here's a link to Mercury Magnetics; http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

Down the page, there's a Gibson 'GA RV' model suggesting that it might be compatible with many / most / all Gibson designs; they could tell you for sure.

Re/ reverb can, the Accutronics people are pretty good about working with you to determine which of their models matches up.

Good luck! JH
        Yeah, I talked to Mercury Magnetics about this yesterday. They were very helpful, but without the actual transformer, no one is sure what it should be.
        Gibson's parts listing shows 3 different reverb transformers (TF-6401, TF-6402, and TF-6846). Mercury makes one of those, and I don't know if that is what I need.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        If an end of the pan is open, it is no good.

How far off can the standard Fender reverb transformer be? I'd try one of those and use a plain old 4AB2C1B.

The Falcon drawing I have shows a 12AT7 driving things. Typical of Gibson...
        Yeah, that's what I'm going to do is use the Fender transformer and reverb. I found 2 different Falcon schematics, one which shows a 7199 driving the reverb txfrmr. The triode of the 7199 has a plate impedance of 8K ohms, I believe, while the Fender transformer has an input impedance of 25K ohms, so I don't think it will get the full power out of the tube, but it should do something, I hope.

Comment

...but without the actual transformer, no one is sure what it should be. Gibson's parts listing shows 3 different reverb transformers (TF-6401, TF-6402, and TF-6846). Mercury makes one of those, and I don't know if that is what I need....to do is use the Fender transformer and reverb. I found 2 different Falcon schematics, one which shows a 7199 driving the reverb txfrmr. The triode of the 7199 has a plate impedance of 8K ohms...I hope.
          There are 3 public domain schematics for the GA19RVT; the 'tweed' version; 7199 reverb operator at V2 (#'d left to right), the 'crest 01' w/ 6CA4 at V2 (#'d right to left ), and 'crest 02' w/ a 12AX7 at V2 (unsure of orientation; has 6BQ5s).

Which model/tube do you have? I have a tweed/7199 but haven't ever recorded the part # from the reverb trfmr ... If you have a 7199 at V2; 2nd from the left viewed from the rear, email me at jmhenderson at bellsouth dot com - I'll go look at trfmr # and reply... John

Comment

I just checked the Falcon in my shop and the numbers on the reverb tranny are E-6400 and another number was 166335. The ohms on the reverb pan side was 175 ohms. Can't see why a regular Fender BF type wouldn't work just fine.
            KB

Comment

Hi Amp Kat: which model do you have in your shop? J

Comment

There are 3 public domain schematics for the GA19RVT; the 'tweed' version; 7199 reverb operator at V2 (#'d left to right), the 'crest 01' w/ 6CA4 at V2 (#'d right to left ), and 'crest 02' w/ a 12AX7 at V2 (unsure of orientation; has 6BQ5s).

Which model/tube do you have? I have a tweed/7199 but haven't ever recorded the part # from the reverb trfmr ... If you have a 7199 at V2; 2nd from the left viewed from the rear, email me at jmhenderson at bellsouth dot com - I'll go look at trfmr # and reply... John
                I've got the crest 01 with a 6C4 in V2. I believe a 6CA4 is a rectifier tube. Where did you find that schematic?

Comment

Hi Amp Kat: which model do you have in your shop? J
                  Sorry I'm not sure but I'll let you know when I go back. Anything else you need while I'm at it ?
                  KB

Comment

I've got the crest 01 with a 6C4 in V2. I believe a 6CA4 is a rectifier tube. Where did you find that schematic?
                    Yes; you're right. The 6CA4 is a rectifier; 6C4 shown. Don't recall where the schematic came from; labelled M-216 RVT suggesting a 'Maestro' model? It also labels the 6C4 as V3; third from the right w/ rightmost labelled V1. If you want it, PM me w/ your email address. John

Comment

Thanks John, I found that schematic elsewhere.

Comment

Not really; given the 3 different tubes used in the GA19 reverb, I was wondering whether Gibson used the same reverb transformer for all three. j

Comment

This may be a bit latent (had to add to the fray), but I have a Tweed Falcon around with a now dead reverb transformer. The number on the frame of it is E-6400.. A smaller number on it is 166201 (I'm guessing serial number or year of make). It's driven by a 7199 tube for the record.

Comment

Originally posted by UnexplodedCow View Post
                            This may be a bit latent (had to add to the fray), but I have a Tweed Falcon around with a now dead reverb transformer. The number on the frame of it is E-6400.. A smaller number on it is 166201 (I'm guessing serial number or year of make). It's driven by a 7199 tube for the record.
                            Mercury makes a copy of that E-6400 transformer. I went with a Fender clone, it's cheaper and worked fine.

Comment

Does anyone know the winding count and/or the resistance values of the primary and secondaries on the reverb transformer?

Comment

Working...
                              X