Fender Frontman 212 - 3 different amps same issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Frontman 212 - 3 different amps same issue

I got the third Fender FM212 in as many months. All three had the same issue, a cement resistor had broken a connection at a leg. They weren't all the same resistor, nor the same leg. On this third one I went directly to moving resistors while it was on, and was able to get signal to pass and verify the problem, so fixing it was very fast. (since I learned the PT must be removed to pull the board). I wonder what is the reason for these common failures in this particular amp?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Vibration?

And/ or that goofy, flimsy chassis design?

Comment

As Enzo would say:
      a) thatīs not "the same issue" .
      b) do you know how many thousands or tens of thousands are out there working very well?
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I would take a gander at 'where they broke'.

If at the bend, then the assembler may have bent then incorrectly, causing a crack instead of a gentle bend. (No. Not the bear.)

Comment

Reason? probably no one ran glue over the resistor. Anchor those large parts with silicone, and likely never break another.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It happens because modern resistors and capacitors have wimpya** leads compared to those of old.

Comment

Working...
            X