bugera v 22 squeal/ hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bugera v 22 squeal/ hum

hello, this is my first post, and I am happy to have discovered this forum. I have encountered a problem in a bugera v22 that seems to be in the transformer that switches the output power to 4,8,16 ohms. I tap it with my finger when its on, and it reacts like a harmonic tube. I have never worked on a tube amp that has a circuitry board like this, and so far im not impressed. hopefully someone has some insight to the bugera brand, and possibly a manual. I did manage to find a schematic, but it basically shows wiring layout, and is totally non descriptive as far as values, voltages, and type of part. I agreed to look into this amp for a friend, since the last person he had looking at it has had it for 6-7 months and didn't even check it out. I work on various electronics, guitars,c.b.s, linears. and residential and commercial electrical systems, so I kinda know a little bit about a few things! I am not a c.e.t., so I would appreciate any help I can get, in laymans terms. thank you

Welcome to the site.

Question: tapping 'what' causes harmonic tube noise?

Comment

bugera is a behringer brand, that may help locate a schematic. This page http://music-electronics-forum.com/t41121/ has some links. I didn't look to see if yours was in there.
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

tapping the transformer that steps down output voltages, and puts out 4,8, or 16 ohms. it is located after the power tubes, and before the output jacks.

Comment

Never had that issue: 'tapping on the output transformer makes a noise'.

I think you need to verify that it is not a tube doing that (sympathetic vibration).
          If any, it would most probably be a preamp tube.
          The output tubes will naturally make a thump when tapped.

Possibly you could remove the output transformer from the chassis to narrow it down.

Comment

I have one of these amps. Love it! The impedance selector switch is located right next to the effects loop jacks. I would start by cleaning the switch and the jacks with Craig Dioxit D5. Keep in mind that any banging around gets physically conducted. General maintenance is a good start while you are in there. Clean all pots, jacks and switches. Also these amps like to shake themselves apart if you use them a lot. Tighten all screws. Take a good look at the screws mounting the baffle and speaker. Half of mine shook out before I noticed. And... there have been weird issues with the footswitch if you have an early production one. As a side note... he might want to see if it is still under factory warranty?

Comment

Found this in my travels
              Attached Files

Comment

Or here:
                http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Bugera/..._Schematic.pdf
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There are two versions of the V22, the original and the Infinium (which supposedly will match any pair of EL84 output tubes.) I haven't yet found the schematic for the V22 Infinium (I have the head incarnation.)

Steve Ahola
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                  X