G-K Backline 600 Pre amp low power and distorting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-K Backline 600 Pre amp low power and distorting

I have some strange scope readings in the overdrive channel around the 2 FETs, Q1 and Q2. I am not familiar with what I should be seeing so I hope someone can help.

I will try to attach the pre amp schematic.

At U3-7 I get a nice clean sine wave 21V P/P. At the other side of R17 I get a distorted sawtooth type of 5V P/P. At the Gate to Q1 I get a square wave of 1 V. At the Gate of Q2 I get a square wave of 2 V.At the source of Q2 I get a square wave of 1.2V. At pin 1 of U3 I get a dist. saw tooth of 1.2 V. I have checked the value of R17 and also the diodes in-circuit and they are good. Same for the FETs.

Is this what I should see for the FETs or are they causing the distortion to feed back to the end of R17?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Attached Files

That all looks about normal to me.

What is the actual problem you are trying to fix?

EDIT So you fly a twin do you?
    Last edited by nickb; 11-15-2016, 06:37 PM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

The overdrive channel has low power and is distorted. The Normal channel has distortion but to a lower level.

I used to fly Twin Beeches. I had an Air Cargo company out of New Orleans. Still one of my favorite airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinBeech View Post
        The overdrive channel has low power and is distorted. The Normal channel has distortion but to a lower level.
        I would start with the clean channel as it's easier to work on and a lot less complex.

I used to fly Twin Beeches. I had an Air Cargo company out of New Orleans. Still one of my favorite airplanes.
        Certainly they are a favorite. I never got further than ASEL so I don't have any personal experience of them. Still I had a lot of fun with singles.

Comment

I will try to post some pictures. They are U3-7; R17 downstream; Q1 gate; Q2 gate
          Attached Files

Comment

The first thing I find is after the two channels come together on U7-1 i get a good sine wave but on U7-7 it is distorted. Moving the contour pot has no effect. I am leaning toward replacing U7 as a start. First pic is U7-1. Other -7.
            Attached Files

Comment

The first thing I find is after the two channels come together on U7-1 i get a good sine wave but on U7-7 it is distorted. Moving the contour pot has no effect. I am leaning toward replacing U7 as a start. First pic is U7-1. Other -7.
              What is the vertical scale of your scope shots? They are meaningless without that information.

PS: Also, what is the frequency? AC/DC coupled?
              Last edited by nickb; 11-15-2016, 09:34 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^ That, plus, what are the DC voltages on U7?
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

5V/Div

Comment

5V/Div
                    Ouch! Waaay too high. Set the input source to about 200mVpp, use the clean channel and adj the volume to get 1Vpp on U7-1 and remeasure.

And like the Dude said, check the DC voltages (should be first step before breaking out the scope).

Comment

pin 4= -14.3VDC pin 8 = +14.3VDC

Comment

With 1 V P/P on U7-1 I get .5V with same waveform as before on pin 7.

Edit: That is with a 400mv sine wave at the input. That is the lowest I could get it to go. I have some pads but for a much lower signal. I sent a query to G-K to ask about a print showing test setup but haven't heard back yet.

Comment

Ok, ......so we have supply voltages on the IC, but what are the voltages on the other pins? Most of the time , if the IC is bad there will be DC on pins where it shouldn't be. Are the rest of the pins near 0VDC?
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

All other pins are at Zero VDC.

Comment

With 1 V P/P on U7-1 I get .5V
                              What? rms, DC, Vpp?

..with same waveform as before on pin 7.
                              The same amplitude or shape or both?

Comment

Working...
                              X