Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate rebuild transistor question TIP141 TIP146

Hello,

I have been hunting around for an answer and came upon this forum so i thought i would ask all of you. I am rebuilding an old crate G120CXL amp and have run in to a question about the darlington transistors used. The schematic and parts list call out TIP141 and TIP146 transistors. I have a bunch of new ST TIP142 and TIP147 i would like to use. I am having problems finding matching 141 and 146's to replace the ones in the amp. I would like all 4 to be the same brand and package type.

I know the 142 and 147 have a higher base emitter and base collector voltage but can they be used to replace the 141 and 146 transistors without damage to the amp? I have put a lot of time and money in to rebuilding this amp and don't want to cook anything.

Any information you have would be very much appreciated.

G120C & CXL Schematic.pdf

It should be OK. The only difference I can see is the Vce.

Comment

Perfectly fine. In 30 years of running an authorized repair shop for Crate and many other brands, we never stocked TIP141/146. The TIP142/147 pair are used by Crate, Fender, MAny others.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So you don't think the 20v higher emitter base and collector base voltage requirements would damage the power supply circuit at all?

Comment

They are not requirements, they are capabilities. Using them is like using a heavier extension cord than you need for a table lamp. Or using a 250 pound rated ladder instead of a 200 pound rated one. Not only will they not harm your amp, your amp is LESS likely to harm THEM.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Great. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I think all the newer ones use the 142/147.

Should be fine as mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
              X