Here is a fun one, baffle rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a fun one, baffle rattle

Just did some work on '65 Super Reverb. Customer had just replaced all four speakers with 75 watt Eminence Ragin' Cajuns, which make this the heaviest SR I've ever encountered. When I was done with the work I put the chassis back in the cabinet and what a buzz/rattle I got on low notes, especially low E. Took the chassis back out isolated it and was satisfied the rattle was in the cab. Knowing the customer had done the speaker work, went about removing, inspecting and reinstalling each speaker with the front baffle removed to try to see if he hadn't torqued them down correctly. With baffle out, no rattle, good. But as soon as I installed the baffle, the noise came back. So I removed the baffle, vacuumed out the cab and started inspecting the box. I found one of the inside pieces of wood strip that the baffle screws into was loose at where it connects to the box, that I could pull it right off with my fingers. and to my surprise it was only attached to the inside of the box with four wood staples. There may have been some glue that had dried up, but I couldn't really be sure. I hit the strip with a good amount of Elmer's wood glue and tapped the staples back into place. Then I drilled some pilot hole and installed 3 new screws to both strips. I waited for the glue to dry and then installed the baffle again.

Problem solved. My assumption is that the Eminences are heavier than the stock Jensens he took out, and put enough strain to loosen that connector strip and cause the rattle, which was louder than you might think. First time I have seen this type of failure. But four wood staples, seriously Fender?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    My assumption is that the Eminences are heavier than the stock Jensens he took out, and put enough strain to loosen that connector strip and cause the rattle, which was louder than you might think. First time I have seen this type of failure. But four wood staples, seriously Fender?
    It's not just the weight. I've had to do lots of extra "carpentry" on Fender & other cabs. Yes those 3/4 by 3/4 cleats are only stapled in, with a smidge of glue. Be glad you have them, the "newer" 70's Fenders simply slid baffles into slots in the sides. OK for a couple years maybe, 'til the wood starts to shrink and glue goes brittle.

Rattling can have to do with how much air a speaker's moving too. In a similar case, a customer took it upon himself to install a Scumback 12" into his Hot Rod Deluxe, then it started rattling like a tin camping trailer in a hurricane. Compared to original equipment, the Scumback had LOTS more bass, gobs of it. I did 2 things, 1 electrical, 1 mechanical. Changed the cap at tha amp's power amp input to 680 pF - this rolled off a fair amount of bass while conserving the overall tone of the amp. But it still rattled some - mostly the back metal panel of the amp was shaking like crazy, right behind the speaker. The output transformer mounted near the center of this vibrating panel with scarcely a quarter-inch of space under it. Ah the perfect spot to wedge a wooden splint, and it worked, no more rattletrap, amp sounded terrific.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I've hunted cabinet rattles like the rest of us here. All I can say is that by digging right down to the mud with both hands right from the get go you have demonstrated experience in this matter I can't even count the time I've wasted playing, listening, tapping and just generally f#$ck!ng around to "isolate" such a problem when a teardown would have been faster. So KUDOS to you for "getting to it". You were clearly a good candidate for the job and you have a lucky customer that doesn't need to complain about still having a problem. I don't think I need to explain what that means.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

well Chuck H, this customer is in a band with a gold and platinum record, and this is for his side project, so I want to keep him happy. OTOH, I have a customer in a local bad who knows very little, but thinks he can kinda hear a mechanical in one of his first tube amps, and he makes me crazy with it. Randall, I think I can hear it again... brought it back to the point I just gave up and said there is nothing more I can do, it's so small and "maybe" that it's not audible whatsoever when your band plays your rock music. That is neurosis more then practicality.
        It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I remember seeing old SRs with four JBLs in them. Factory option like the TRs. Heavy bastards! Clean and bright as an ice pick!
          Last edited by olddawg; 12-28-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I ran/run into this often with the JBL SR series PA cabinets. They're trapezoidal boxes and I've found many with NO glue on the back corner seam of the box. You have to jam a couple of screwdrivers into the seam to spread it, shoot some glue in, and then clamp/screw it together at least until the glue dries. I just assumed that the "glueless" ones were built on a Friday.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              I ran/run into this often with the JBL SR series PA cabinets. They're trapezoidal boxes and I've found many with NO glue on the back corner seam of the box.
              Peavey's trap PA boxes too. No glue in the baffle grooves. Couple years drying out & in-use = "rattle traps."
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                I ran/run into this often with the JBL SR series PA cabinets. They're trapezoidal boxes and I've found many with NO glue on the back corner seam of the box. You have to jam a couple of screwdrivers into the seam to spread it, shoot some glue in, and then clamp/screw it together at least until the glue dries. I just assumed that the "glueless" ones were built on a Friday.

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                Peavey's trap PA boxes too. No glue in the baffle grooves. Couple years drying out & in-use = "rattle traps."
                I love these sorts of post. Because I love the forum. This is the sort of thing that someone with a problem finds when doing a *oogle search and it gives the forum a presence (hopefully helping it to stay around for a long time).
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X