Rivera Studio Jake - No Output After Re-Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivera Studio Jake - No Output After Re-Cap

Hi All. This is my second post to the forum, I posted some pics earlier on what a PITA it was to get the 4 Main power filter caps out they were glued down with black stuff that was really a pain to get them off, but i perservered, cleaned up the mess and put in the new caps. All seemed was going good until testing, Power on was fine. but volume increase resulted in nothing in either channel, you could barely hear some signal come through if it was cranked all the way up (only did this for a few seconds..) sounded basically about as loud as if it was coming through a headphone. It was built in 1997. I have used it and giggled with it off and on for about 15 years. It has all fresh tubes pre and power, bias set correctly fro some nice NOS EL34s. After having it out on the bench, there is a lot of burning around all the tube sockets, Ive cleaned it up quite a bit in the picture attached. Gave the whole board a cleaning, tube sockets were full of gunk,,,Checked cathode resistors, diodes all .5 on D1-D4, and some preliminary troubleshooting. Attached are schematics and pics...Just need a plan of attack on where to look. Sorry about the pic sizes...Rivera schematic_1.pdfRivera_schematic_2.pdfRivera_schematic_3.pdfClick image for larger version

Name:	Input _stage_board.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	871231Click image for larger version

Name:	New Filter Caps.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	871232Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	871230

Not Sure if the input on V1 is bad, resistor value at least is correct.

Thanks again for any help...Would like to keep it going if I can...

-Scott

Are all the tubes lit up? What happens if you plug into the fx return? Check the supply voltages: -24,+24,-18,+18 Filament, +18 Logic, TP50, TP51 and the far side of R4. If that is OK, do a sanity check for the voltage on each plate.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Thanks nickb,

I will try that next...

Comment

All tubes are glowing including power tubes.
        here is what I measured so far:

Test Point Expected VDC Measured VDC
        V1 Grid TP1
        V1 Plate TP2 (shared) 210 218
        V2 Grid TP3
        V2A Plate (TP4) to V3 305 334
        V2A Plate (TP5) 205 225
        V2B Plate (TP6) 200 218
        V3B TP7
        V3B Plate (TP8) 215 245
        V3A Plate (TP9) 210 241
        TP11 290
        TP13 288
        TP32 42
        TP33 298
        TP34 284
        TP35 -41.66
        TP36 -41.66
        TP39 +28
        TP40 -28
        TP41 -41.66
        V1 Pin 4 18
        V2 Pin 4 6.96
        V2 pin 5 -5,76
        V2 pin 6 224
        V3 pin 6 240
        V3 pin 4 -5.76
        V3 Pin 5 -18
        TP50 428
        TP51 456

Comment

Ooo very though You get a bonus point.

I don't see anything wrong there. What about the plugging in to the return jack test? Also carefully check the connections to the fx send/return board as something might be misplaced or loose.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Also...

I'm unclear about whether the amp was actually working before the power supply rebuild. If it was then IMHE the first thing to look for is errors in your work.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

HURRAY!!!!!!!

This is going to sound weird...but I just starting going through all the tone controls and when I turned up the bass control on Channel 2.....everything came to life!

Wow...not sure how that was limiting things.
              Last edited by Ascott; 01-22-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Did you also have the mid and treble controls at zero? Having all tone controls at zero results in no sound. Look at the schematic and see how it would ground off the signal path.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

doh....yep

Thanks you guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X