Lower anode voltage V2 preamp than V1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower anode voltage V2 preamp than V1

Good morning all.. it's been a while since I posted here, so please excuse me, I have a question that has been bothering me lately.

I was inside my Marshall Super Lead reissue after Xmas to replace the caps with some Sozos that I bought for myself as a an Xmas present. I converted it to Super Bass specs, put a .68 V2 cathode cap on a switch, added a bright cap switch for the bright channel.

The amp is far from stock at this point, there is a Lar/Mar MV, a Metroamp loop, slightly lowered power supply filter caps. Nothing wild, just some practical mods and all in all it is just a clone early 70's Super Bass.

I took some voltage readings while I was in there and noticed that I have 180v on the anode of V1, and 160v on the anode of V2. I thought that it could be the Metro loop that is drawing the current away from V2, but disconnecting it made no difference. V2 is drawing more current than V1.. the supply voltage before it hits the anode resistor on V2 is higher than that on V1 by 1 or 2 volts. So how can I go about diagnosing this? Is it something I need to worry about?

The preamp valves are RFT ECC83's.. the phase splitter is a Sovtek LPS.

Thanks in advance for anybody willing to lend a hand here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1992u.gif
Views:	4
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	871233

The two circuits are different, and your voltage difference is small, I see nothing to explain. Your two V1 cathodes are biased in parallel by 820 ohms, which is equivalent to a 1600 ohm for each. The left triode of V2 has an 820 (or 1k) resistor. That is a difference right there.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for that explanation Enzo, it is obvious when I actually think about it. Still have a lot to learn!

Comment

Working...
      X