amp lost volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp lost volume

I'm going to yank the chassis and have a look, but before i do i wanted to see if anyone could tell me what the likeliest causes of this could be. The amp has been sounding so good recently i haven't touched it. The chassis went back in it;s can a couple weeks ago and i've just been enjoying playing it. Then today i plug in and the volume is way down. Before, like any tube amp i have had, it got loud quickly and theres a point at maybe 8:00 where the volume jumps from very low to much louder then gets to stage volume by about 10:00. Today i plugged in and that jump point around 8:00 was no longer there and to get as loud as it usually is at that jump point I have to turn it to 1 or 2:00, and the amp doesn't get near as loud overall. And i swapped EVERY tube in the preamp and the 6V6 power tubes and checked the bias both with the 6V6 that were there and the ones i swapped in and all is normal and no replating etc. Before i go crazy looking for the cause, can anyone point me to the most likely cause of this? thanks.

It would surely help to have some idea what amp you might be talking about. 6V6 doesn;t narrow it down much.

No need to go crazy, just approach it systematically to isolate the problem. Is ther an FX loop? APply a signal and trace it through the amp, where does it drop? Are ALL the heaters glowing inside the small tubes? I don't even get out a schematic before I check pins 1 and 6 of all dual triodes for B+, and pins 3 and 8 for some reasonable cathode voltage.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Nevermind.....it was user error ! Your post did help me tho because I realized what it was tho when u mentioned effects loop. It doesn't have one but that got me thinking and it caused me to remember that i had turned down a pot on the back last nite i use to lower the volume a tad and is relay/footswitch activated. I use it as a volume boost. But i just remembered i used it in conjunction with the master to help eliminate that volume jump point on the master last nite ! LOL....yes, i AM indeed an total idiot bordering on sub moronic. Well, thankfully i won't have yet another troubleshooting fiasco, so thanks for jogging my memory.

Comment

Working...
      X