Regal 250 Guitar Amp 1940's? Assistance Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regal 250 Guitar Amp 1940's? Assistance Please

Hi folks, on my hobby bench today is an old Regal Muscial Instruments Co. Model 250 amplifier. Unsure of the date on it.
    A friend brought it over as 1 6V6 is not heating up and no sound. He bought it as is on Ebay. I got in and started researching.
    I think I have found the problem, but am not 100% sure how to fix it. Heater wires seem wired incorrectly.
    I have no schematic, and my knowledge is limited. Here is what I know so far:
    Someone was in the amp and installed new caps. I am pretty sure they mixed up the wiring.

Tubes are: 30 rectifier. 1 6SC7 (Phase Inverter?) , 2 6V6 Power Tubes and 1 6C8 (pre-amp?) Could anyone confirm my guesses on the tube positions?
    Is the 6SC7 some type of phase inverter?

According to my research the 6SC7 tube heaters are pins 7&8. I have 5.3V AC out of the PT going to pins 2&7 on the 6SC7.
    I am pretty sure someone was confused as pins 2&7 are supposed to be the heater pins on the adjacent 6V6 tubes. I'll plan to re-wire that.
    The other questions I have are there appear to maybe be some other incorrect wires on the 6SC7 pins 7&8, instead of the heater wires.
    If anyone has some type of schematic, close this this amp, that would be much appreciated. If we can't get a schematic I will post more pics
    and details, I suspect someone here will be able to guide me along. Much appreciated. Thanks, Keith.

Left to Right in image: V1 6C8, V2 6V6, V3 6V6, V4 6SC7, V5 80 Rectifier. You can see the heater wires from the PT going to pins 2&7 on V4.

Maybe the 6SC7 is supposed to be in V2? 6V6s in V3 & V4?

Tried swapping tubes....LOL. Got it. 6SL7 in wrong position. So it's not a PI. How do these 2 6V6s' push? Class A? Thx.
    Last edited by keithb7; 03-08-2017, 03:58 AM.

I'm sure it's running Class A. It looks really similar to some old Oahus i've worked on. Is it functioning now?

Comment

I'm surprised to see the heater voltage so low with modern AC line voltage. I expected it to be higher than 6.3V, but you have 5.3V.
      Does the rectifier have it's own heater winding? What is the heater voltage on the rectifier?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

80 rectifiers are generally in pre-war type stuff. Some schematics that may be close here:

PersonalWebKit.com Web Site
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The amp is working fine after I came to the conclusion that the tubes were installed incorrectly.

SO this could be pre 1939? That would be great. I cannot seem to find any date codes. Speaker either. It is original field coil Rola speaker.
          I would have to pull the chassis again to measure heater wires on rectifier.

Comment

I quickly threw together this sound demo.

https://youtu.be/aWdUGyIssHU

Comment

Originally posted by keithb7 View Post
              The amp is working fine after I came to the conclusion that the tubes were installed incorrectly.

SO this could be pre 1939? That would be great. I cannot seem to find any date codes. Speaker either. It is original field coil Rola speaker.
              I would have to pull the chassis again to measure heater wires on rectifier.

Probably similar to the Dobro 50 schematic in the previous link. It has an 80 rectifier. Odd beast. Look at the transformer taps.

Comment

And my rock buddies always ask why I tell them to go out and buy an old clunker...

Amazeballs, Batman!

Can I share that video on my Facebook page?

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                  And my rock buddies always ask why I tell them to go out and buy an old clunker...

Amazeballs, Batman!

Can I share that video on my Facebook page?

Justin

Sure Justin. No prob. Share the love! Lol.

Comment

I cannot locate a date on the Rola speaker anywhere. I was able to locate "41" on the back of the on/off/volume switch housing. Looking at field coil vintage Rola speakers, this seems to fit the right era. 1941. It's an assumption, but I think it may be close enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X