Another speaker impedance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another speaker impedance question

A customer brought me a 64 Deluxe Reverb to wire a replacement speaker he had installed to a new 1/4" right angle plug because the new "Fender" plug assy. he purchased was crap (the plastic cap fell off if you even looked at it askance). I noticed he had a 16 ohm speaker in there. So the question comes up, "will it hurt the amp?". My answer was a little less than concise. I told him since he plays the amp at about 3 - 4 on the volume, probably not, but that since the OT was looking for 8 ohms, an 8 ohm speaker is the best choice. BUT that it also has an Ext. Spkr. jack which if used with another 8 ohm speaker, puts the load at 4 ohms, so go figure.

So I ask the forum the same question, will it damage the OT at these volumes? Assuming of course the OT is healthy to begin with. He understands the risk, and likes the speaker, and has no problem replacing the OT if it dies.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Somewhere, on Amp Garage or MEF or maybe Audio Asylum, a couple years ago I ran across a post which claimed Fender's Deluxe reverb actually delivers more power to a 16 ohm speaker. Hmmm...... A couple of times since then I've tested ones in for repair with resistor loads, 8 & 16 ohms. Some do, some don't, some are identical. So I don't think your customer's amp is going to be harmed by running 16. Plus, he can attach another 16 ohm extension if he pleases.

And it's easy enough to hit clipping with the volume "only" at 3 to 4 with just about any guitar and a strong strum. Watch on a scope, you'll see.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
    X