Pin 1 6550 tie point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin 1 6550 tie point

Just working on a Blankenship 'Twinplex' head that that a runaway bias issue. Interestingly, pin 1 on each of the 4x6550 tube sockets is used as a tie point for the grid stoppers and so connects the tube metal shell to the signal and bias voltage. Not something I'd want to do myself.

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Just working on a Blankenship 'Twinplex' head that that a runaway bias issue. Interestingly, pin 1 on each of the 4x6550 tube sockets is used as a tie point for the grid stoppers and so connects the tube metal shell to the signal and bias voltage. Not something I'd do myself.
    I've seen that done in a very old amp that had metal 6V6 output tubes. Its owner was wondering why he got a mild shock when he touched the tubes. Heck I'd be more worried he'd get burned. I guess he did his poking around before they warmed up much.

Should be easy enough to undo, just stand the stopper resistors up on pin 5 like Marshall used to.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Do you mean pin 6?

Comment

Was the amp originally intended for 6550? or for 6L6?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

From what I've read, the Dynaco MKIII's also used pin1 as a tie point (w/6550's).
          Seems some 6550's have pin1 connected to the base while some do not, no universal standard.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

And we should never rely on someone checking which tubes they use. Poor practice to use that pin on a 6550 amp.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The amp was supplied new with 6550s, but if it was originally designed for 6L6 then that would explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                From what I've read, the Dynaco MKIII's also used pin1 as a tie point (w/6550's).
                Seems some 6550's have pin1 connected to the base while some do not, no universal standard.
                I feel also is not a rule. Tying to whatever potential is sort of screening method. I found on a pair of kt120 the ring conected directly to plate what is more dangerous of course, specialy if want to swap the tubes and are not sure the caps are completly drain !!! Worst,there is not mention into datasheet
                Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-15-2017, 09:33 AM.
                "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Working...
                X