No announcement yet.

Grounding cap on a three prong AC cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite story was the night my guitarist brought his guitar up near his mic and when the high E string touched the mic front, it sparked and burned in half.

"Hey, Enzo, do you have another E string?"
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Another that always makes me laugh: It's an old 2 wire system. They put in a shiny new metal box with grounded outlets, use the existing 2 wire romex, and run a little ground wire from outlet to box which goes to nothing.
      Whenever I had a gig I would test the outlets with a tester to tell me if any of the wiring was wrong.....I came across more that were wrong than right...I would check every outlet until I could find one fit to use and use that one....I would also take the owner/manager around and show them the issues.....the normal response....we had this bar/club, or whatever rewired just a few months ago...or last year......etc....etc......meanwhile, if the truth was really known, it was never rewired or had some wanna be electrician wire it up.......one thing is for sure...the completed work was never inspected because no permit was taken out.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Oh hell yes that happens. Just a hum through the monitors while I stood momentarily frozen to the mic via my lips. Then My knees hit the stage and my guitar was just open strings blaring. I earned the moniker "Sizzlin' Chuck" that night. I never mentioned to anyone afterward that it wasn't for my playing.
        Chuck's back, yaaay!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At least they didn't call you Hot Lips.
        Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 03-25-2017, 06:08 PM.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          In vintage stuff, remove when doing 3 prong conversion.
          As far as why they are needed with 3 prong, some modern amps use them (proper x or y types). 5150 for example. Some examples on polarity switches, some not. I wouldn't go removing those while some may call them 'death caps'.
          As far as the X or Y position caps, from what I have gathered is the benefit to their design is that they fail open. I once was a noob on such matters and I owe so much of my learning to you guys here, thanks!

Oh yeah... welcome back Chuck!
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Funny stories guys!

Been there too in the old days.
            Also why I use a wireless too!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              Chuck's back, yaaay!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At least they didn't call you Hot Lips.
              I'm actually not. In fact the work here in California is running longer than expected. But I do have occasional access to a tablet (that I'm using now). My presence will stil be spotty for awhile and I don't have my bench or files. So I might be limited in my ability to contribute anything useful. I can't help but check in though. Nice to be missed.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                My presence will stil be spotty for awhile.
                That's to be expected, for a potato.

Check in when you can, good to hear from ya! Stay outta trouble. And deep fryers.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                X