Shorted reverb pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
    All of the original Fender solid state series amps in 1967 did this as well as the solid state spring reverb units. Supposedly so that there would only be one tank to inventory.
    I just fixed up an old Fender Taurus and it was 1970 as per the schematic. However, a look at the SS schematic for Fender 1967 it is apparent they had almost identical preamp design in many or all of the amps. The reverb is strong and sudden like that of the Dick Dale persuasion. My uncle was going to keep one of the many amps he had me work on and I told him this one sounds great!! Still need to check in with him soon to find out how he likes the sound. All I can say is that I was shocked that the amp was so quiet with nearly no hum at idle, still original filter caps. After all I heard about these amps it seemed they were horrible amps. Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you hear.
    Attached Files
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
      I just fixed up an old Fender Taurus and it was 1970 as per the schematic. However, a look at the SS schematic for Fender 1967 it is apparent they had almost identical preamp design in many or all of the amps. The reverb is strong and sudden like that of the Dick Dale persuasion. My uncle was going to keep one of the many amps he had me work on and I told him this one sounds great!! Still need to check in with him soon to find out how he likes the sound. All I can say is that I was shocked that the amp was so quiet with nearly no hum at idle, still original filter caps. After all I heard about these amps it seemed they were horrible amps. Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you hear.
      The astrology sign amps were the second ss series amps. The first series were named just like the tube models. They didn't sound that bad, they were just built like cheap car radios. Bad pc boards and very little thought to how things were assembled. I think it was Forrest White that quit because of these amps. It took something like one hour of disassembly to change the pilot lamp.

These amps don't sell for much, probably due to the online reputation. Most of them have been bought up cheap and stripped for speakers, reverb tanks and hardware, as they all used the same pieces that the same era tube amps did.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        The astrology sign amps were the second ss series amps. The first series were named just like the tube models. They didn't sound that bad, they were just built like cheap car radios. Bad pc boards and very little thought to how things were assembled. I think it was Forrest White that quit because of these amps. It took something like one hour of disassembly to change the pilot lamp.

These amps don't sell for much, probably due to the online reputation. Most of them have been bought up cheap and stripped for speakers, reverb tanks and hardware, as they all used the same pieces that the same era tube amps did.
        I remember these amps being awful. Fender was trying to make amps cleaner and cleaner while players wanted grind. They were sterile clean and were downright ugly when overdriven. Most SS amps of that era were. The SS Silvertones were utter crap as were the Kustoms IMHO. There seems to be a cult around the VOX SS amps of that era nowadays, but we "harvested" them for parts as well.

Comment

Working...
        X