Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else not care for the new DeOxit nozzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else not care for the new DeOxit nozzle?

I sure don't. No way to regulate the spray. And I find the button kind of klunky, too. Looks like they copied the new WD40 sprayer. I guess the advantage is you don't lose the straw, but I never lost them before anyway. Heck I even have extras. I'll probably go thru the stuff twice as fast now, which is perhaps why they did it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D5.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	871575
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Haven't had a new can in a while.

The can of F5 I have has settings marked on the collar around the spray tip: "ADJUST SPRAY: L - M - H". It's bullshit. Comes out in firehose style, regardless.

I have two customized straws for use with my DeOxIt sprays. For one, I crushed flat the straw at one end with my soldering iron. Then I poked a new opening with a straight pin. Finally, I used the iron to curve the tip 60 degrees. So now, by rotating the straw, I can direct the spray at an angle into pots and tight spaces.

On a second straw, I applied some 1/8" shrink tubing to the end. The shrink tubing, when heated, creates a smaller diameter aperture. And the clear tubing is nice and flexible even after it's shrunk, so I can probe this flexible tip into tight spaces, and spray where needed.
    Last edited by xtian; 05-16-2017, 08:49 PM.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

I haven't had to order any for a while, so I'm not familiar with that nozzle. I'm curious, though- Can you simply take the nozzle off and stick in the one from your last empty can? I know that some of those just snap off, but maybe not this one.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        I'll probably go thru the stuff twice as fast now, which is perhaps why they did it?
        Sales department wins every time. Back when it was "Cramolin" advice printed on the label said "the less you use the better it works."

Similar to xtian, I glue on a bit of heat shrink, flame it with a strand of wire in the bore to keep it from closing sompletely, then bend the nozzle so I can reach whatever I'm spraying better. Still get too much!
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Still get too much!
          That's the FLUSHING ACTION, man!
          --

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
            That's the FLUSHING ACTION, man!
            I like to think of it as "flock shooting".
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

No way that I can see to use the old straw, the new one feels glued in. And, it is a larger diameter hole. I'm going to keep the spray button and straw from my old can, and after the new one is used up, see if there is a way to pry the new contraption off and use the old button and straw.

I will say most of the time I wish I could spray less, but also down here in SWFL I see many amps that have been sitting in garages for years, or working on boats and piers at night, and the controls are so corroded that I sometimes do hose them down more than once, then I follow with S5 a couple of times. It usually works, and I charge an extra few bucks for this. It is these times I feel the flushing action is my friend.

But mostly I want the old spray head back.

Comment

"An exciting new can to celebrate DeoxIt's 60th anniversary. The new Perfect Straw flips up to spray precision, or down for wide spray. Never lose your straw! "

Marketing BS.

Apparently now you have to purchase the "FLEX-TIP™ - Extension Tube for Perfect-Straw™.

DeoxIT® D5S-6, More than a Contact Cleaner

Why oh why would they mess with a good thing?

Comment

email assault?

Comment

Just my opinion, but I'd think Caig would be more receptive if each user wrote a serious letter detailing their experience with the product. ANgry letters get round filed. Imagine a repair you did came back a couple days later. Would you be more receptive to a detailed explanation of what was still wrong, or would you prefer to hear a customer yelling?
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I bet the company has an environmental policy. I wonder if it states "New cans will include extra plastic to ensure additional burden on disposal, recycling or landfill"

Comment

Good news! We can obviously make our own "Flex Tip®" and save $2...

--

Comment

So the new one is called 'perfect straw' but you can buy the kit which contains a piece of the old style 'even more perfect straw'.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                          X