Peavey Classic 50 reverb chip got inserted backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 50 reverb chip got inserted backwards

And started smoking the pair of 22r resitsors that are on the power supply for the reverb circuit. Turned the chip back around and it still overheating the resistors so I shut it down. Is there anything else that likely got damaged besides the chip itself and the resistors? I'm gonna have to order parts and trying to only order once. Not familiar with this type of reverb...

file:///G:/Peavey%20Classic%2050/Peavey-Classic50-Schematic.pdf
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

That link is from your computer, so here ya go.

http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thet...-Schematic.pdf

Most likely just the chip and resistors as input and output are capacitor coupled.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

How hot? Did you measure the voltage across them and calculate the wattage? I think they run other things as well, so I don't expect them to run cool.

Edit: never mind, I misread and thought the chip was removed and they were still getting hot.
      Last edited by g1; 06-08-2017, 12:43 AM.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You could leave the chip out of the amp and fire it up to see if the resistors still get hot and if your voltages are normal. If everything is normal, then probably just the chip.

Also, the chip is just a standard 4558 dual op amp. You don't have on laying around or some broken thing you can rob one out of?

Comment

No I sure don't have anything like that. No biggie ordering one though. Will try the surplus store first if I can get by there tomorrow. Thanks for the fast response.
          ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

removed the chip and no smoking. Still have -27vdc feeding those resistors as well.
            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              You could leave the chip out of the amp and fire it up to see if the resistors still get hot and if your voltages are normal. If everything is normal, then probably just the chip.

Also, the chip is just a standard 4558 dual op amp. You don't have on laying around or some broken thing you can rob one out of?
              You'd be suprised at what you will find those in. I've salvaged quite a bit of them when I tear down electronics on the weekend. I collect all kinds of broken things so I have more things to play with Electronically speaking.
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                You'd be suprised at what you will find those in. I've salvaged quite a bit of them when I tear down electronics on the weekend. I collect all kinds of broken things so I have more things to play with Electronically speaking.
                nosaj
                Isn't that what those storage tubs are for?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Isn't that what those storage tubs are for?
                  It's been a Long long time since I could fit in a storage tub to play.

nosaj
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                  X