No announcement yet.

Marshall Major Blowing Power Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause you work at you power supply, I suggest to do a simple useful change. Broke the wire between minus rectifier pole and bias ground reference. Let the bias ground reference to run to chassis through those black wire. Run a separately wire (should be a relative thick one) from minus pole rectifier straight to minus pole first series batery cap, directly on the minus cap lug not chassis lug . like blue line in my sketch. That.s a heavy dirty noisy supply return, is better to keep it separately and not run ,contaminate ,the chassis

Click image for larger version

Name:	o79kw8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	845782
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-25-2017, 10:33 PM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

• Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
      Cause you work at you power supply, I suggest to do a simple useful change. Broke the wire between minus rectifier pole and bias ground reference. Let the bias ground reference to run to chassis through those black wire. Run a separately wire (should be a relative thick one) from minus pole rectifier straight to minus pole first series batery cap, directly on the minus cap lug not chassis lug . like blue line in my sketch. That.s a heavy dirty noisy supply return, is better to keep it separately and not run ,contaminate ,the chassis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43922[/ATTACH]
      so basically leave the black bias ground to chassis but move the bridge rectifier ground to the ground lug at the filter cap?

Comment

• Originally posted by cluster View Post
        so basically leave the black bias ground to chassis but move the bridge rectifier ground to the ground lug at the filter cap?
        Exactely, bridge rectifier negative pole straight to first batery cap negative lug (the cap lug wich will be tied further to ground chassis lug)
        And the bias goes as it is to original ground conection ( you have a black wire there) . Just disconect the bridge and run a separate wire to the cap. You will keep noise supply return out of chassis. That is very important from noise consideration cause you run through chassis signal returns. It is in whole beneffit to give no chance to not contaminate it an keep as clean as posible, Those return is very noisy return containing AC ripple and have a lot of energy, Run a AWG 18 there if you can and try to keep it as short
        Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-25-2017, 11:40 PM.
        "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Exactely, bridge rectifier minus straight to first batery cap minus lug (the cap lug wich will be tied further to ground chassis lug)
          And the bias goes as it is to original ground conection ( you have a black wire there) . Just disconect the bridge and run a separate wire to the cap. You will keep noise supply return out of chassis. That is very important from noise consideration cause you run through chassis signal returns. It is in whole beneffit to give no chance to not contaminate it an keep as clean as posible

Thanks for that. I noticed that the amp had a noticeable hum at idle today. this cure some of the hum.

Comment

• No worries. clean the ground lugs when you screw in back and instal properly
            We talking about 100 hz ripple noise, or 120 ...sorry

Comment

• What are those two wires tied together at first ground lug? It is a green one, suppose it is CT from bias winding and a yelow one-suppose to be a shield or what ? can you enlight me ,please ? Which one is bias center tap ? and what a heck is the other ? Cluster the heater wires, including heater CT are on the other side you said ?...

Name:	2potgmb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	845783
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Cluster From you pics looks like bias secondary is also made from two series windings. Green and yellow are tied together to form a center tap. Am I right ? (I.m not sure hundred percent so need to check it)
                If is so,in this case you can lift green and yellow from ground lug, Keep it tied together and run a wire from that connection to the turret where bias circuit is referenced to the ground( black wire connection on the small board). You can run this wire in chassis bundled with red bias wires. Keep black wire bias reference very safe , just lift yelow/green and run it to that spot on bias board. You will separate in this way bias supply by signal path in bias circuit

Name:	ipxvzq.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	845786
                Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-26-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Trying to do more understandable

Name:	2eztmr7.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	845787
                  Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-26-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Trying to do more understandable

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43932[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks. Have you heard of the Larry ground scheme? Here is an image.

Name:	282n7v7.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	845798

Comment

• I know what Larry did and he is right. There are a lot of schemes functionaly talking but be aware no schemes worth nothing if you don't understand what you did. And that means one thing, one principle : keep as much izolate signal path by supply path. Separate as much low currents path by large currents path. Stick on this principle and can develop any schemes you want in respect of complexity of your amp.
                      Of course in many situations inevitable mixing but good practice mean to have care to minimise the effects as much as possible
                      Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Caution for readers of the ground scheme illustrated in post #114 claimed to be "the Larry ground scheme." Note 6 of the posted illustration, Power Cord Ground, contains a major mistake. It indicates the black hot lead is the power cord ground. It should be the green wire which is correctly shown in the photo bolted to the chassis. However, the overlay note "6" is in the wrong location. These kind of typos are a problem for novices who build from layouts because they haven't learned to read schematics and don't yet understand the circuit principles.
                        Last edited by Tom Phillips; 06-29-2017, 12:32 AM. Reason: Clarified the illustration was "claimed" to be the "Larry ground scheme" (Pointed out below it was likely created by another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                          Caution for readers of the Larry ground scheme in post #114. Note 6, Power Cord Ground, contains a major mistake. It indicates the black hot lead is the power cord ground. It should be the green wire. This is correctly shown in the photo but these kind of typos are a problem for novices who build from layouts because they haven't learned to read schematics and don't yet understand the circuit principles.
                          That was the first thing I set my eyes on in that picture. My first thought was "Oh great some noob is going to spend hours on that one!" Hopefully not their last hour either...
                          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• My question is, I can't see where that black wire actually IS going... But it sure doesn't look like it's going to the center lug of the fuse, does it? Which is where it SHOULD be going FIRST, right? Do I see the Neutral fused but not the Hot?

Just asking for my own security... if I've been doing it bass-ackwards all these years, I have a few amps to fix!

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

• Guys take it easy. This pics is a drawing made from a user who dīnd.t understand nothing by basic circuits at the moment trying to understand what Larry Grohmann aka Novosibir on metro forum trying to explain. It is a whole valuable topic in Metro about with very valuable infos.and Thanks to Larry Grohmann for that. But Larry never did a drawing. There are hundred of almost identical pics on internet made from different novice users wich didn.t understood what they dīd. If you are really interested by subiect go to Metro and folow the related topics under Larry - novosibir- directions
                              For this reason I mentioned above- no schemes worth nothing if you don.t understand what you did

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                                My question is, I can't see where that black wire actually IS going... But it sure doesn't look like it's going to the center lug of the fuse, does it? Which is where it SHOULD be going FIRST, right? Do I see the Neutral fused but not the Hot?

Just asking for my own security... if I've been doing it bass-ackwards all these years, I have a few amps to fix!

Justin
                                No Justin you been doing it right. Hot "Black" wire goes to fuse and that is how it should have been done. I had one instance where there was a two-prong 1970's Roland amp power cable and the white wire was connected to the hot blade of the plug. Never encountered anything like that before or since.

Edit: Also make note that the two prong cable I mentioned had marker on it to show polarity when plugging it in. If you looked in the amp they used white wire everywhere you would normally expect to see black wire too. Of course this was the 70's...
                                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                                X