Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb.....

Customer wanted a complete retube....I noticed there is a tic tic sound when you activate the tremolo...Is this normal?? Just curious as I had heard that it is a quirk with some of these Fender amps.....the amp looks like a reissue........comments???
    Cheers
    P.S. I did do a quick search on this site but nothing there......

Fender Amp Tremolo Mods

Comment

Thanks Jazz.....I found a few on google as welll.......never saw this one.....
      Cheers

Comment

Every one of these reissue amps I've seen has had the tick. Sometimes the mods don't work and there's still a residual noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          Every one of these reissue amps I've seen has had the tick. Sometimes the mods don't work and there's still a residual noise.
          You would think that Fender would address this issue...after all they sell a ton of these....something else as well.....when switching in and out of standby, it makes an ugly loud pop......not impressive for the cost of a new amp..........

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
            You would think that Fender would address this issue...after all they sell a ton of these.
            That's the problem, right there. "We sell a ton of these, WHY change/improve them. Must be a perfect design, they're so popular."

Does Fender still use a neon lamp in their vibrato bug? The neon discharge is often the cause of the audible vibrato click. I make my own bug with an LED instead, 99% of the time click becomes inaudible.

You could disassemble Fender's bug, reuse their photocell and replace neon with a super-bright orange or yellow LED. Other colors might work but I haven't tried them.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Anyone with a '65 reissue should be grateful they didn't buy a '68. Those things are so damn noisy from new I wonder how they got past the design stage.

Comment

I think most of the "mods" to those "68 Custom Reissues" are stuff guys have been doing for a few decades now, which are possibly not the heat implemented solutions - usually in the name of "thickening distortion" or whatever. I seem to remember reading about at least a few in the Kendrick book... so, I'm not surprised they're a bit noisier than usual. Especially if one of those mode is a Neg. FB switch. My Bassman came with one ot those and was noisy as hell with it off. I could get the same sound by just turning the amp up louder.

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                  I think most of the "mods" to those "68 Custom Reissues" are stuff guys have been doing for a few decades now,
                  True that, I was both delighted and dismayed to find some of my standard mods in the "68 Deluxe." I'm very unimpressed about the way Fender joins the channels: simply "Y-corded" together, no mix resistors. Cheap and nasty. For an extra dime they could have done it right. Fooey on them!
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Can you link a schematic? Only RI Deluxe Reverb I have on hand is 65 Deluxe reverb, which has 220k mixing resistors. I have no "68" drawings.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Two resistors cost 5 cents.
                      Skipping them, in 20000000 amplifiers, Fender can save:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here's the service manual with schematic for the '68 reissue;

68_custom_deluxe_reverb.pdf

The problems with these amps is with unmodified amps, noisy from new. The reverb is especially noisy.

Comment

Working...
                        X