Gallien Krueger potentiometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallien Krueger potentiometers

I'm looking for potentiometers for an old Gallien Krueger MB150E amp. I think that at least 4 or 5 of them need to be replaced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GK_pots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	873289

Full Compass?
    Gallien-Krueger Replacement/Service Parts | Full Compass
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Can we get pics of the whole pot?
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Of course but I can do it tomorrow in the evening. It's getting late and it's quite difficult to get access to the pots.
        Anyway, it seems that they look like this one: Gallien-Krueger 070 2503 B 50K Ohm Pot B For MB150E | Full Compass

Mark

Comment

Yep. g1 snuck in while I was typing. No need for pics if you already found what your looking for.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Considering you will have to remove the PCB assembly to get the pots removed, you might consider opening up the pot by carefully prying the four folded tabs of the cover up, lifting the cover off, then cleaning and re-lubing the resistance track and put the cover back on, folding the tabs back into place. I do that all the time and, unless the resistance track is really buggered, they come back up nice and quiet and last a good length of time. Now, on two or more gangs, you can't get the front and middle covers off...only the rear cover. In those cases, I carefully brush in Caig DeOxit (as opposed to spraying it in), and you just exercise the control a bunch, and they're good to go.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

It appears that the pots are of different type - without supporting bracket. I may try to fix one or two of them (thanks Nevetslab) but three or four need to be replaced (one has broken shaft).

Name:	GK_pots_2.jpg
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	848505

Comment

Just in case, I pulled apart one of the pots I have that has supporting brackets. The bracket doesn't come off on this version (they do on Fender's pots), but the four tabs of the cover still appear at the front, so I got the cover off just fine, exposing the wiper & track for cleaning. I use brush-on Caig DeOxit 5. Essential tool needed are small flush-cutting diagnol cutters. This tool shown is an Erem 71AE 45 deg angle flush cutter, which is perfect for this task...used to slip in and pry up the cover tabs. Closing the tabs back down is easy with needle nose pliers.

Name:	Pot with supporting brackets-1.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	848506 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pot with supporting brackets-2.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	848507 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pot with supporting brackets-3.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	848508 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pot with supporting brackets-4.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	848509 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pot with supporting brackets-5.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	848510
                Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

For cleaning PC mounted pots:

Put two cleaner "straws together end to end and connect with heatshrink, then seal the ends of the shrink with superglue.

Find a guitar string that just fits into the straw.

Heat one end of the straw until it's pliable but not melty. Push the guitar string into the straw about 2", and bend the end of the straw 90 degrees with as tight a radius as you can manage.

When the straw has cooled, pull the string out.

Why the string? It keeps the straw from kinking and thus becoming blocked.

With this, you can get under the pot and shoot cleaner up into it. I prefer CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

Comment

I put a piece of heatshrink on the cans straw, and shrink only the connection. So I now have a heatshrink extension on the straw. Now I strip a piece of twist tie or take a piece of tag wire and insert it in the heatshrink, pushing it all the way in and just a touch more.
                    Now I can bend the extension to anything I want at any time.
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks for the tips but for me it was easier to desolder the pot (and the input jack), dissasemble the pot, clean it, assemble back and solder back:

Name:	GK_3.jpg
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	848521 Click image for larger version

Name:	GK_4.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	848522

The potentiometer works correctly now. But I'm still looking for the other pots.

BTW, it looks like the amp had some serious problems:

Name:	GK_5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	848523

Comment

I think you may have to use the newer pots and just snip the support brackets off. The dual pot they have does not have the support bracket. The one with the plastic knob does have it, as does the one in your amp.

Comment

OK, the pot worked great for two days but now it doesn't . I have to buy a new one. But I noticed that the pots at fullcompass are different than I need.
                          This is the one I need:

Name:	GK_11.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	848576

This is the one available at fullcompass:

Name:	FC_pot.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	848577
                          Please look at the shaft.
                          I also emailed GK but there is no answer until now.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
                            OK, the pot worked great for two days but now it doesn't . I have to buy a new one. But I noticed that the pots at fullcompass are different than I need.
                            This is the one I need:
                            I think Mouser may carry pots similar or identical to the GK in your photo. Search Alpha, 16mm, knurled shaft (yes I know it's spline but that's what they call it.) Mouser p/n 313-1530F-250K for instance. I bought a few about 3 weeks ago.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

When you say shaft do you mean the threaded portion of the bushing, and the distance it will be stood-off from the faceplate?
                              You may have to rig up spacers for that.
                              Still no reply from GK I guess?

Comment

Working...
                              X