Replacing a memory battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a memory battery

I've got a Baldwin Electric grand piano I'm working on..It's got a 4.8v 280mAh battery that spilled it's guts. The corrosion looks like I can scrape most of it away and vac it up.
    Baldwin GPS2500
    My question is it's a memory backup just to hold settings when piano is off, how important is it to stay around the 280mAh rating? I've got to go to a local batteries plus and I trust their knowledge about like anyone at walmart or home depot. So I came to the braintrust to inquire of your magik.
    http://www.shema.ru/cd/us/2/data/ps2500.pdf
    Thanks ,
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

By any chance is the proper battery available from Gibson/Baldwin?

Disclaimer: Not having looked at your schematic: If you downsize the storage capacity of the battery you could lose memory lifespan. If you go way oversize on the storage capacity, I suppose you could load down the charging system on the first charge of a dead battery (assuming that the charging circuit has no current limiting feature). If you top off the battery externally before installing it, I don't think that an over-capacity battery would be a problem even in the absence of current-limiting in the charge circuit, as the only time the charger would need to deal with a high current demand might be when you've depleted the battery following a prolonged period of non-use. As long as you're within a reasonable Ah rating that's close to the desired spec, I doubt you'll have a problem. If your piano has a current limiter in the charge circuit, you should be able to go big and none of this should matter.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Also, isn't this a solder in battery? I tend to think a local battery store would maybe have rechargeable batteries, but not with solder tabs. Looks like a nicad you might find at Digikey at similar.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Digikey does have a lot of solder-tab type batteries.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
        X