Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdrums925 View Post
    I get about a 4v P-P swing at the driver collectors
    The waveform looks much better but gets fuzzy & distorts as I turn up the tone controls
    At least there's progress
    Did you mean "emitters"? If it really was the collectors of Q7 /Q8 that would be wrong.

You should probe the input the power amp to check for a sensibly sized ( no more than 4Vpp) undistorted signal followed by the output.

Now that you have Q3 removed please measure the voltages again, including the power rails, Now that we have a schematic there is no need to repost it. Just do a table of Q#, pin and it's voltage.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Q3 was already replaced
      I can measure all the voltages but would it not be easier to say that I now have a lovely set of equal sine waves on the sockets of the output transistors?
      4v P-P on the bases Q11, Q12, and about 15v P-P on the collectors, 0v on the emitters no output transistors installed

Sorry if Im not following advice well. It's just that it will take some time before I can verify everything before reporting back and the nice undistorted waveforms on the sockets
      of Q11 & Q12 seem to indicate this left channel should be working as soon as the transistors arrive

Correct me if I'm wrong about that

Comment

The problem was you reported the the swing on the driver collectors whereas I was expecting a measurement on the output. The driver collectors is not a place you would normally probe,

OK that sounds about right. There is load on the output due to C30 that is causing the drop across R34 and R29. That will go away once the output transistors are fitted. Turn R26 to maximum resistance before fitting the output transistors to avoid excessive quiescent current.

Time to look at the other channel?

Comment

Moving to the right channel here are the measurements in dc volts:
          base collector emitter
          Q1001 28.5 1.5 29.9
          Q1002 46.8 0 47.5
          Q1003 .8 -39.7 1.6
          Q1004 -38.8 1.8 -39.6
          Q1005 .8 -38.9 1.5
          Q1006 -38.9 -.2 -39.5
          Q2 -.2 0 -.2
          Q5 0 0 0
          Q6 -.2 -.2 0
          Q9 0 42.4 0
          Q10 -.2 -42.5 -.2
          Q13 42.4 0 43
          Q14 -42.5 -.2 -42.7

Comment

Looks like Q6 and Q5 may be bad. Remove and retest.

BTW when working on SS amps I always bring the power up slowly with a variac and monitor the current to avoid blowing parts up. I'm not a fan of bulb limiters as they react too slowly to protect transistors in many cases. OTOH a bulb limiter is better than nothing.

Comment

I replaced both Q5 & Q6 as they were bad.
              But this did not provide for a sine wave on the collectors of Q13 & Q14 like it did for the other channel.
              I removed Q10 and checked. Initially it tested ok but then tested bad.
              I suspect both Q9 & Q10 are bad and need replacement.
              Now, here's the problem. All I know about them is they are a NPN and a PNP device with Marantz numbers and that they are both TO126 case styles.
              How can I find suitable replacements since Denon/Marantz are of no help at all?

Comment

ANYONE?

Comment

No printing on the transistor is same as schematic 34-1013
                  716 follows that Marantz # however
                  i have found some that are hard to read and sometimes a white crayon or even rubbing pencil lead on them will uncover what I'm looking for. I also found this may or maynot help
                  Marantz Transistor Cross-reference.pdf

nosaj
                  more detailed info
                  Marantz-18-Schematics.pdf
                  Last edited by nosaj; 03-23-2018, 02:18 AM.
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I'm waiting for the new set of voltages after removing Q5 & Q6.

PS: Responses are sometimes delayed as email notifications are a bit hit and miss.
                    Last edited by nickb; 03-23-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I replaced both Q5 & Q6 as they were bad.
                      But this did not provide for a sine wave on the collectors of Q13 & Q14 like it did for the other channel.
                      I removed Q10 and checked. Initially it tested ok but then tested bad.
                      I suspect both Q9 & Q10 are bad and need replacement.
                      Now, here's the problem. All I know about them is they are a NPN and a PNP device with Marantz numbers and that they are both TO126 case styles.
                      How can I find suitable replacements since Denon/Marantz are of no help at all?
                      What is the pin out?
                      Do they have a heatsink?

For PNP try a KSA1220A, for NPN KSC2690A assuming there is a heatsink and pin out is ECB KSA1220A.pdf
                      Last edited by nickb; 03-23-2018, 08:31 AM.

Comment

base collector emitter
                        Q5 0 1 0
                        Q6 0 -1.7 0
                        Q9 .4 42.4 .4
                        Q10 -1.8 -42.5 -.5
                        Q13 43 .6 43
                        Q14 -42.5 -.5 - 42.7

Q10 is removed and tests bad at time of these measurements. Also Q11- Q14 are removed
                        Q6 was replaced with a A844, cant read Q5 but need to double check it is a PNP although the Marantz schematic shows it a NPN
                        I assume the new drawing you did is correct that it should be PNP like Q6?
                        Pin outs on Q9 & Q10 are ECB as are the KSA & KSC you recommend.

I will have to order KSA1220A and KSC2690A since I don't have those.
                        They are both bolted to metal cylinders that are likely heat sinks with insulators, hard to see.
                        Last edited by bigdrums925; 03-23-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

base collector emitter
                          Q5 0 1 0
                          Q6 0 -1.7 0
                          Q9 .4 42.4 .4
                          Q10 -1.8 -42.5 -.5
                          Q13 43 .6 43
                          Q14 -42.5 -.5 - 42.7

Q10 is removed and tests bad at time of these measurements
                          Q6 was replaced with a A844, cant read Q5 but need to double check it is a PNP although the Marantz schemati8c shows it a NPN
                          I assume the new drawing you did is correct that it should be PNP?
                          Q6 is PNP. It is shown wrongly on the Marantz dwg. Q5 ans Q6 are not critical. Not much point in the voltages with missing parts. Things got a bit confused there due to me not getting some responses. Replace the known bad parts first.

Comment

So both Q5 & Q6 are now 2sa844's
                            KSA1220A and KSC2690A came in and I replaced Q10 using a KSA1220a
                            But this did not bring this side to working condition. So here are a new set of voltages

b c e
                            Q5 0 .9 0
                            Q6 0 -1.4 0
                            Q9 .9 42.4 .5
                            Q10 -1.4 -42.5 -.5

I haven't changed Q9 yet and very difficult to get to but I suppose that should be next
                            any other suggestions?

Comment

Those voltages are in the ballpark. But.. earlier you asked about Q5/Q6 and I see I got them mixed up. Q5 ( and Q4) should be NPN and Q6 (and Q3) is PNP.

Comment

Q5 is a NPN and Q6 is a PNP now.
                                I don't seem to get a signal through the preamp on the right channel like is present on the left channel.
                                In fact there seems to be nothing at all signal wise.
                                Not sure where to look at this point.
                                Shall I go back and re-measure all the transistor voltages including the preamp?
                                I haven't removed and checked Q9 but no apparent shorts while in circuit.
                                But for some reason R42 is burning up after 20 seconds of power up without Q14 or any other outputs installed

Comment

Working...
                                X