oscilloscope opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oscilloscope opinion

I came across these at an old repair shop , are either of them worth pursuing ?? They said they both work , haven't seen proof yet.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2529.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	873485Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2530.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	873486
    If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Both scopes would probably be considered relatively inexpensive but nonetheless good, old analog scopes. They are old enough that they are straight analog with no digital stuff

I owned a BK 1477 before and was really impressed with how clear the display was. I think I bought it for $20 on craigslist or something, had it for a year or two, then sold it on ebay for like $90 when I needed cash.

Not familiar with the Hitachi scope but I know they are sometimes recommended when you want something that's pretty good for inexpensive. It won't fetch a high dollar amount because it doesn't say Tektronix on it.

Comment

I think BK of that era were made by Hitachi. I have a Hitachi 60 MHz scope with the big display. I like it.
      Those two scopes look like they were used by a greasemonkey. Yuck.
      Where are the probes?
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

It depends on the price. If you get one, please clean it.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm not familiar with either of those scopes, but seems how we're on this subject may I throw in some questions of my own? Just this morning a friend brought me a Tektronix 935A to look at on behalf of another friend who is selling it. It is very clean (not greasy) and apparently works well, although there are no probes with it so I can't confirm one way or the other. It would probably do me but one concern is that it is 19" or so deep, so I'd have to keep it on my benchtop where there is always a lot of clutter already. It would be nice to have something that would fit on the shelf above.

He also has a Tek 465B and a 5110. I don't know the prices. Does anyone have the dimensions or opinions on any of these?

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            I think BK of that era were made by Hitachi. I have a Hitachi 60 MHz scope with the big display. I like it.
            Those two scopes look like they were used by a greasemonkey. Yuck.
            Where are the probes?
            The probes were hanging there,but I didn't inspect them, I'm going back tomorrow, to see about true functionality. They both look crud nasty , plan on using that as another reason for low ball $$$$$ offer
            Thanks to all for your input
            Last edited by shortcircuit; 03-28-2018, 12:13 AM. Reason: +

Comment

What I want to know is who brought those photos back from the future?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Either of those scopes if working would be fine for amp work. I always go into a scope purchase expecting to buy a pair of probes, they are not expensive.

If you want to test a scope and have no probes, unbend a paper clip and touch the center of the probe jack. That will inject a noise signal to see on teh screen.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  What I want to know is who brought those photos back from the future?
                  that happened when I tried to reverse engineer an analog delay pedal..happy accident...ssshhh it's a secret

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Either of those scopes if working would be fine for amp work. I always go into a scope purchase expecting to buy a pair of probes, they are not expensive.

If you want to test a scope and have no probes, unbend a paper clip and touch the center of the probe jack. That will inject a noise signal to see on teh screen.
                    Thanks for the tip, always appreciate your input

Comment

Maybe I'm just picky, but when I look at those scopes I see equipment that wasn't cared for by the guy who used it. That's enough to make me pass.

FYI when I bought my 60 MHz Hitachi, it came with scope, vinyl jacket, cord, manual and two 60 MHz 10:1 probes. I paid $45. And it was CLEAN. Looked new. Personally, I'd look for something cleaner unless you could get them for $20. Chances are that he won't come down, and you could find a clean scope elsewhere for the same price.

Be sure you get the right probes to match your scope. You don't want 30 MHz probes on a 60 MHz scope. And get 10:1 probes at a minimum. 100:1 would be even better.
                      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                        FYI when I bought my 60 MHz Hitachi, it came with scope, vinyl carrying jacket, cord, manual and two 60 MHz 10:1 probes. I paid $45. And it was CLEAN. Looked new. Personally, I'd look for something cleaner unless you could get them for $20. Chances are that he won't come down, and you could find a clean scope elsewhere for the same price.

Be sure you get the right probes to match your scope. You don't want 30 MHz probes on a 60 MHz scope. And get 10:1 probes at a minimum. 100:1 would be even better.
                        as you stated,unless I can get them for next to nothing I'll pass , really thank everyone for there insight and input

Comment

Working...
                        X