Acoustic Control 126 seems to be lacking bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Control 126 seems to be lacking bass

Hi to all - Now that I have all of my amps working I have come to notice that my Acoustic 126 is apparently not putting out the right amount of bass . I have to put the treble and mid pots on "0" and the bass pot on "10". The equalizer has to be up all the way on "70 hz" and the remaining sliders at "0" in order to get decent bass . I have never noticed this before as I usually play through my 470 head . If I plug the 470 into the 126 cabinet I can shake the house without too much bass attenuation .The amp has always seemed to be a little heavy in the mid range but I putting the heavy gauge strings on my bass did not take care of it . So should I assume that something is wrong in the "tone stack" or could it be somewhere else ?

It sounds like it is time for you to test the coupling caps in the audio circuits of your amp. If they open up or reduce in value, that will greatly reduce the low frequency content of the audio.

Typical Acoustic preamps use electrolytic caps that often go off value.

Comment

Thanks , that's kind of what I thought . I'll go thru it and change all the electrolytics.

Comment

Went through the amp and changed all of the electrolytics. Most of them were off by at least 40% with the exception of the 4.7 uf cap that read .02 uf . I think that that cap would be considered to be part of the "tone stack". The amp has plenty of bass now as its rattling the baffle and port so I will have to put glue blocks in it. I also changed out the driver to an Eminence Legend CA 154 that seems to be working OK.

Comment

Working...
        X