No announcement yet.

Fender Bassman 200 crackling noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bassman 200 is now working perfectly. The MPSW42&92 arrived from China and doing the job perfectly. I have the my favourite "testing" music cranking through for an hour and now crackling issues. The PCB tracks underneath were a mess of broken tracks, pulled off pads and dodgy repairs. I have installed and tidied up as best as I could. I used hot glue to stabilise the MPSW42&92'sdue to the lack of solder pads. I was concerned about the possible conductivity issues of hot glue, but it seems to be fine.
    I would like to thank Enzo, Jazz P Bass, G1, Mozwell and MarkusBass for the generosity of your time and knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by mozwell View Post
      You could always try MJE340 & MJE350 300V 0.5A 20W
      Yes I've used MJE 340 & 350 in this application. Doesn't hurt to have a bit extra wattage tolerance. FWIW I bolt a little scrap of aluminum plate to heatsink each one, and they do warm up a bit.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        Yes I've used MJE 340 & 350 in this application. Doesn't hurt to have a bit extra wattage tolerance. FWIW I bolt a little scrap of aluminum plate to heatsink each one, and they do warm up a bit.
        They sure do get hot Leo. I'll keep a record of your suggestion. I have ordered a few TO-92 clip on heatsinks to which I'll apply a drop of hot glue. Thanks mate :-)

Comment

Originally posted by christarak View Post
          They sure do get hot Leo. I'll keep a record of your suggestion. I have ordered a few TO-92 clip on heatsinks to which I'll apply a drop of hot glue. Thanks mate :-)
          I can predict hot heatsinks and hot glue will be a hot mess, think about it. May be better to put a dot of cyanoacrylate aka CA aka Krazy glue there instead.

Credit Mozwell with first mention of the MJE340/350 solution.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            I can predict hot heatsinks and hot glue will be a hot mess, think about it. May be better to put a dot of cyanoacrylate aka CA aka Krazy glue there instead.

Credit Mozwell with first mention of the MJE340/350 solution.
            That's a very good point about the hot glue, Leo. Superglue it is! Quite right, too, about my fellow Aussie. Thank you Mozwell :-)

Comment

Working...
            X