Mesa Boogie mkiii - Adjustable fixed bias mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie mkiii - Adjustable fixed bias mod

So I am attempting to make the bias supply adjustable on this mkiii boogie amp but so far no luck. Looking at the schematic you will see a resistor that measure 826ohms coming right off the the rectifier diode for the bias supply. Then the bias voltage passes through a 3.3k resistor, looks like 33k on the scheme, and there is that "factory select" resistor in parallel with a 68k. Now on this amp the 68k resistor is really a 221k which has drifted to 246k, R102. Where the factory select resistor is, R117, there is not a resistor installed. So for a test I wired a 200k and a 50k pot in series and replaced R102. I set the 50k full on (250k total resistance) I get about -63v at the grid of V6 or V7. Sweep it all the way down (200k total resistance) and I get like -62.4v. I thought getting that resistor back to 221k again might help and then I could sweep down to 200k to bleed a little more of the bias voltage less negative.

Just gotta make sure I am heading in the right direction here. The lower the value I put into R102 should yield a less negative bias voltage supply right? I am thinking that I will need to take a 100k resistor in series with a 100k trim pot to get more adjustment. Does that sound correct? I am just a little put off the by differences in the Boogie schematic and what is actually in the amp. I know that I should not be surprised with these schematics as they are more like suggestions as some other members here have stated many times before. I just like when what is in the schematic is at least very close to the what's in the amp.
    Attached Files
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

yes,lowering that r102 will give you less negative voltage

Comment

Here is a crop from an MKII with a bias pot.

boogie_mkii Adj Bias.pdf

Comment

I have looked at all the various bias circuits for all Mark amps. I guess I was a bit surprised that there was little change from 250k down to 200k, like a volt difference. There is an old thread online somewhere that I read where the guy says he replace a 221k resistor with a 200k pot. He had it set to about 150k at the sweet point of adjustment. I guess it has to do with the voltage divider range from the 3.3k in series resistor and that once I start getting between 150k-200k then there will be substantial change to the bias voltage. Where I left off at 200k made me double check if I was getting the board layout correct, which I was.
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
        X