Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL EON 15 G2

Hi all,

I have this active speaker come in for LF driver not working. It shows 400 something ohms, so it's off to repair.

In addition to testing the output power with a dummy load, is there any other tests I should do before plugging a speaker again and blasting it full volume? All voltages check out, and the LF amp is working (tried it with a low volume) with a temporary 15" EV driver connected.

Why did the speaker blow anyway? It stopped working mid-gig. Too much volume for a long period? The 15" driver blowing seems to be a common thing with these speakers, is there any way to prevent it?

It has Toshiba 2SC5200/2SA1943 pairs instead of those shown here.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/EON...Schematics.pdf

Thank you for your answers.

Well, my speaker repair guy says the spider and cone are in a bad shape, so there's an explanation why it opened up.

Anyone has a suggestion where to order the recone kit from in Europe?

Comment

Most of the issues that I see with The JBL speakers is caused by trying to get more out of them then they can provide.

With a + - 34Vdc supply I think the 'rated' output is highly suspect. (Lf/300W)

Plus the spec sheet states that the overall amplifier current draw is 175 watts.

Magic!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Most of the issues that I see with The JBL speakers is caused by trying to get more out of them then they can provide.

With a + - 34Vdc supply I think the 'rated' output is highly suspect. (Lf/300W)

Plus the spec sheet states that the overall amplifier current draw is 175 watts.

Magic!
        Yeah, that's super confusing; every sales ad says 400W yet the back sticker says 175W.

I think that these were stored/gigged in a damp environment, causing the spider and cone to rot and subsequently the voice coiled started rubbing against the magnet.

Also, they were used as a main speaker for small gigs, so were probably played near 100% rated power.

Comment

FWIW "small print" spec says:
          Amplifier Power LF: 130 watts @ low-frequency driver impedance,
          <.1% THD.
          Amplifier Power HF: 50 watts @ high-frequency driver impedance,
          <.1% THD.
          Whatever´s printed in the box and ads in big bold letters is just Marketing BS.

To boot, that voice coil is just 2 ohms, which explains the highish power; +/-37V is about standard in 100W RMS into 4 ohm amps (old Kustom, Crate, Acoustic, old Ampeg, Fender, Peavey, most others) so "almost 200W" into 2 ohm is most reasonable.

JBL EON 15P-1Recone Kit 2 Ohm

Not sure about an European supplier and probably ordering a USA aftermarket kit such as this one , even paying international postage, could be cheaper and definitely faster than asking an European representative to order an original kit.

Your choice of course.

Why did it blow? Sh*t happens or warranty and servicing would be empty words

Full blast squarewave for hours tends to be damaging .
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I would tend to think the low frequency stuff is what kills them.
            '
            The speaker sounds great & along comes that 'thumpa thumpa' and it becomes a clipped square wave.

Deadly to a voice coil that cannot properly dissipate the heat.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

For future reference Speaker-Repairs has a good price on the aftermarket kit.

The postage, taxes and customs from US would cost more for sure.

Comment

Cool.
                Remember to fill your Location information box, proper answers fully depend on such data.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X