Silvertone 1333 tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    I'd think someone was tweaking the plate voltage (while disregarding the bias, which seems common ) as you mentioned.
    If the pots are rated 1/2W or better, I suppose you could leave them as is.
    Out of curiosity, how far off are the set values from the stock values shown on schematic?
    Sorry this took so long (Summer activities). The blue pot was wired between pin 5 (plate) of the 6SC7 and hot rail and measured 13k ohms out of circuit. Pin 2 (2nd plate) of the 6SC7 had a 560k fixed resistor. The stock 390k resistors (R7 & R8) were removed. The red pot was wired between pin 2 of the 6SN7GT (plate of 2nd pre) and the hot rail and measured 7.31k ohms. The stock 68k resistor (R19) was removed. Keep in mind that I have no idea how it sounded because it had bad caps in it when I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by frankeg View Post
      Here is the schematic. The pots are wired to pin 5 of each preamp tube.
      Could someone tell me the purpose of C20 tied to the primary winding & ground? Is this for the 2-prong pwr polarity like Fender early Fenders had?

Comment

Originally posted by frankeg View Post
        Could someone tell me the purpose of C20 tied to the primary winding & ground? Is this for the 2-prong pwr polarity like Fender early Fenders had?
        It's called a "death cap" in modern parlance. That's because if it shorts you have a hot chassis. It's purpose is to reduce noise in the power supply. If you're doing things right the amp should get a proper, chassis grounded three prong AC mains cable and that cap should be removed.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck! I thought so but it's arrangement looked different than what I've seen in Fenders. It will be removed and a proper 3-prong cord installed.

Comment

Off-Topic: glad I can always provide a sig line or two, Chuck!

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
              Off-Topic: glad I can always provide a sig line or two, Chuck!

Justin
              It was "computers masquerading as amplifiers" that got me For me that's like putting a ball hitch on your smart car and calling it a tow truck
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well it's all back together and working except that the tremolo is weak. I was hoping on getting away without messing with those caps since they're really hard to get at. Do you think anyone would notice if I used .015 uf caps instead of the stock .02 uf? I have a few .015's handy.

Comment

There aer two parts to any trem: the oscillator (LFO) and the interface.

The LFO is the part with the three 0.02uf feedback caps, and it makes the pulsing we use.

The interface is whatever circuit we use to couple that pulsing to the signal path in order to modulate the signal.

If your trem is working, as in making trem, then the oscillator is working. Changing the three caps won't change that, it already works. Changing them from 0.02 to 0.015 will in fact not make the trem stronger, but it will peed the trem up. In my experience, many if not most amps have a trem that is too fast already. I want to be able to turn the speed down to a sexy throb. Many of them have a slowest setting that is still too fast. SO I swap in larger feedback caps, not smaller.

But a weak trem is usually in th interface. or the design is for a weak trem effect in the first place.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Agree with Enzo above, look at the second half of the trem tube, not the oscillator side.
                    Have you tried another 6SJ7 tube there? R30 & R31 are good?
                    C16 and C17 caps ?
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks Enzo/g1. I listened to another 1333 on youtube and the tremolo was strong. I'll check the output side. I don't have another 6SJ7 to try. I did change out C16 because it was in bad physical shape. Keep in mind that with my old guitar ears, I may be imagining the trem effect, it's that subtle! So I may still change some caps on that side. I found two .22uf and one .33uf that I can use.

Comment

C17 is the one that delivers the trem pulses to the intensity pot. I'd sub something in there if you have not already. Is there any DC sitting on the top end of R32?

Turn intensity pot all the way up. Now measure resistance to ground from the grid of either powr tube. You SHOULD sdee about 1.3M. If you see only 300k, then the trem switch is either ON or shorted.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=enzo...+sales&rlz=1CA
                          HPZS_enUS791US791&oq=enzo&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l5.6291j1j 1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

For those interested, I finished the Silvertone 1333! I decided to replace all the caps and two resistors in the tremolo circuit mainly because once I started de-soldering it was easier and neater. Thanks to those who gave me advice along the way. She sounds really nice & the tremolo is awesome with full range adjustment. It's a cool little amp that is worth restoring in my opinion. Hey Enzo, I found your auto repair shop here in York, Pa but not the electronics repair shop. Lol. I drive by this place a lot.

Comment

Others have been to my several Pizza joints around the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              Others have been to my several Pizza joints around the country.
                              What? I won't go If they don't serve your chili
                              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X