Help with a Carvin BX1200 input jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Carvin BX1200 input jack

Hey guys. My bassist stepped on the cord of his bass guitar, which apparently broke the front of the input jack off and the rest of the jack fell into the head. I've disconnected the jack and this is what it looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1324.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	873766Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	873767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	873768

Is this a specialized jack that has to be purchased by Carvin, or can I buy from other online resellers? Is there a special name for this connector? Can I desolder it from the little board and resolder a new one?

It is a common Cliff jack. I should say CLiff style jack, as similar jacks are made by other companies.

Your SEEMS to be the type with a chrome bezel that threads into the front of the jack, is that the case?

SInce it has its own little board, you don't need to worry about how tall it is.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Since you have it apart, can't you just fish the tip of the broken plug out of it? I've done this before with good results. A dental pick works well.
      Last edited by The Dude; 07-06-2018, 10:56 PM.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I read it as he broke the tip off the jack, not the plug.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ah, yes. After re-reading, I concur. Apologies. I had wrongly read that the tip of the plug was stuck in the jack, so ignore my post.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It almost looks like the bit that screws into it popped out, and the jack itself looks fine. I wonder if there's any way to just purchase the part that screws in and secures it to the chassis.

Either way, found a distributor online, and you're right, it looks like a Cliff jack. The ones with 6 pin that I see online are stereo jacks. Should I just buy a new 6 pin jack as currently is installed, even thought the amp itself is mono? (It has to be mono, right?)

Comment

We don't call them stereo and mono, we call them TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) and TS (tip-sleeve). In any case, the difference in cost is tiny, so why not just replace it in kind. HAving the two extra legs can only help make it sturdier. But also look at the copper traces on the little board, do the center pair of contacts connect to anything? It is possible one is used as a mute or something. If they are not used, then you can indeed put in a four leg TS jack instead.

Comment

It appears that maybe just the threaded nut & washer is missing.

Here is a short legged jack.
                https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...mount-shorting

Comment

Thanks guys! I just bought a new one and will try the existing jack first and if it works I’ll steal the little screw in ferrule to secure it. If not, solder the new one. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                  X